Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM
JCAPPS29
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and filters

Has anyone used the chrome fram filters..are they dangerous or ok to use ..what oil do u use I'm doing it for myself the first time

Old 09-05-2016, 02:45 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JCAPPS29
Has anyone used the chrome fram filters..are they dangerous or ok to use ..what oil do u use I'm doing it for myself the first time
I used them for my '94.. No issues on that.. Just make sure that IF you have a TC that its the correct version. They all work, just from what I read, K&N is the best for free-flow and filtration. Harley isn't bad either.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldn't use anything Fram... Spend a few extra dollars on a K&N, and you'll be fine.

The forum in general is about to scorch you to a crisp for asking about oil... There are probably more threads on just this one topic than there is all the others combined.

That said, I started with the HD Syn3 up until 10,000 then I switched over to Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic in the case, Redline Primary, and Redline gear oil in the trans. The top end is a little noisy, but better than Syn3. The Redline has my machine shifting smooth as silk, and neutral is incredibly easy to find now.

The following users liked this post:
TUCCI (09-06-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 02:48 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

K&N oil filter here. All I use. Redline in all 3 holes. She likes it that way. Runs and shifts sooooo smooth.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nfe
I used them for my '94.. No issues on that.. Just make sure that IF you have a TC that its the correct version. They all work, just from what I read, K&N is the best for free-flow and filtration. Harley isn't bad either.
I should have mentioned that the above K&N and Harley were tested somewhere that I read...

Anyway, I only run Amsoil in my bikes. My '09 had redline in the trans, and it runs MUCH better with Amsoil V-Twin Transmission oil. That's no slam against Redline, because that was night and day compared to Harley oil.

Personally, I'd get the K&N. My local Autozone has them in stock!! Nice thing, it's literally a block away..

Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I'll say this right up front: if you paid me big money I'd never run a Fram oil filter on anything I value. No bueno for me; I'll stick with my PCS4 permanent oil filters on my HD's but the Wix #57148 oil filters are used by many HD owners with very good results. Your local NAPA store can get them easily. The HD filters are not that expensive, don't play with your engine and use a Fram oil filter.

Oil? That's almost like talking religion. I like Valvoline VR1 SAE 50 for the engine and it's all I use, but most owners use 20-50 of some flavor; it's all the same, Walmart SuperTech or the spendy stuff, it won't matter at all.

It's not what the label says on the bottle that you use for the engine, but how often you change it

Old 09-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I'll say this right up front: if you paid me big money I'd never run a Fram oil filter on anything I value. No bueno for me; I'll stick with my PCS4 permanent oil filters on my HD's but the Wix #57148 oil filters are used by many HD owners with very good results. Your local NAPA store can get them easily. The HD filters are not that expensive, don't play with your engine and use a Fram oil filter.

Oil? That's almost like talking religion. I like Valvoline VR1 SAE 50 for the engine and it's all I use, but most owners use 20-50 of some flavor; it's all the same, Walmart SuperTech or the spendy stuff, it won't matter at all.

It's not what the label says on the bottle that you use for the engine, but how often you change it

I have a feeling you change yours more often than the average rider... Just sayin

Old 09-05-2016, 03:31 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
I have a feeling you change yours more often than the average rider... Just sayin
Yea, I'm just a bit over the top with my rides; but you knew that

Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

+1 on the PC4S permanent filter. I run Valvoline V-Twin 20W-50 full syn.
And you can thank me for not posting what I normally would in a thread like this.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

The best place for Fram filters is as far away from anything I own as possible. I run Amsoil on all three holes as well, and Amsoil filters. I order what I need for a couple oil changes at a time, and it's on my door step within a couple days...

Quick Reply: Oil and filters