Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 FXDL No Spark Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM
baadharley
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 FXDL No Spark Issue

Hi,
I'm good at troubleshooting and very tech-savvy. Last started bike about a month ago and ran it for about 10 minutes, as it was only 30deg back then-everything was fine. Last Sun, I coasted bike into the driveway, fired right up, ran for about 2 minutes and flat DIED. Now, just cranks over and does not even attempt to start! Carb is getting and smell gas.

Always on a battery maintainer, but volts were at 12.5, so fully charged it and same result. Swapped out plugs, wires-tested coil and it ohms-out fine. Have 12V at the blk/wht wire...but no matter what, NO sparks using the factory idiot book test. As troubleshooting boredom set in, I hooked up a car 12V coil to the blk/wht wire, rear cylinder, and momentary connected the Neg wire while cranking and it fired!

I'm leaning towards BAD coil?? Though it checks fine? I've ordered an Accel super coil that hasn't yet arrived.

Just wanted to post this out there to see if my thinking is correct-the only parts left are the ign module and the cam sensor/module. I did swap out the ign module with a spare Compufire that I bought years ago, but not sure it is/was good...as had never used it before...and still no spark.

Thx!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I'd check the neg connections on the bike to make sure all connections are good to the frame. Do you hear the starter relay clicking?

Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 PM
baadharley
Stage IV

Hi Jay,
Yes, battery and connections all appear good, including kill switch. The starter engages perfectly and engine cranks over just fine-just no spark/combustion. Like I mentioned-everything ran fine for just minutes and just flat-out DIED. Cranks, won't fire and coil has primary power, but no spark...I will add that last time a very similar issue happened last year while riding...I had to coast to the side of the road and would not start.

I swapped out the E-3 plugs(no longer sold!!) that had been running fine for years...with the stock ones and fired right up. I then replaced with NGK Iridiums that have been running fine ever since...also, swapped those out with stock plugs/wires early-on when this recent issue just started on Sun.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:12 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I've witnessed the SE plugs failing. They just do, I guess. Replaced with NGK and fired right up. Put the SE's back in and nothing. Put the NGK's back in and rode for 4 more years. Went home and tossed the other NIB SE plugs in trash.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Try this link. I think you should be able to open the Wiring Diagrams & Electrical Troubleshooting Guide. It has some good info for ignition troubleshooting.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

Old 03-15-2017, 02:43 PM
baadharley
Stage IV

Thanks All! I may play around with a little more tonight...one thing I didn't try is bypassing the Pos coil wire direct to battery...tho it already has 12V. Also, should receive the new coil by Fri. Funny the parts were cheaper than JP Cycles direct from Accel website and no tax/free shipping. Don't even get me started on paying JP NV sales tax...

Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 AM
dav500
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

May be a failed ignition or kill switch.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 AM
baadharley
Stage IV

Last week, I bypassed the Pos(+) coil direct to the battery and after cranking a couple of times-it fired, but only once.

Good news is, the new Accel SuperCoil P/N 140407 arrived yesterday and I installed last night-Fired right up!!!

Thanks to ALL! I learned more troubleshooting skills on this than I probably ever needed-just still seems strange the coil just died like it did, but better in the driveway than on the road somewhere.

Happy and SAFE riding to all!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Glad it's running, thanks for the update.