Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 wide glide...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Montanadyna
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 wide glide...Help!

Won't turn over. Have had problems with charging, changed stator, rotor, battery, rectifier, plugs, wires, Worked fine at start. But it started to not fire, was not flooded. Changed petcock to be sure. Ran new high octane gas. Today same thing, turns over but will not fire. Then all of a sudden it won't even turn over. Battery charged, when runs charges at about 14 amps. When I hit starter the head light dims a lot, but will not turn over. Any suggestions? Coil? Starter control​ circuit? Relay? Ignition sensor? Ignition module? Help please.

Attached Thumbnails 94 wide glide...Help!-img_20170526_125653527_hdr.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 09:07 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 736 Posts

Has it started AFTER all of the electrical parts you have thrown at it? If the headlight dims when you hit the starter button with the starter not engaging, you have a starting system problem. Remove and clean the negative battery cable connection to the frame. You can jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver to test that the starter actually works. Might want to spend the big bucks and get a Factory Service Manual.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Montanadyna
6th Gear

Have a service manual. Just went out to try it again and it turned over, wanted to start but backfired once and that was that, will no longer turn over again. Did notice this time when I hit the starter button a strange buzzing sound came out of the electrical box. Thinking maybe my after market electronic ignition (Fireball H1-4 dual fire) is shot. Had it in for the last 10 years. Too dark now to do anything, will take the box apart tomorrow. Your thoughts?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:23 PM
Montanadyna
6th Gear

BTW, yes it did run for awhile after all the parts, but have had a couple problems with it starting after dying​ for no reason while on the road.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member

The K.I.S.S philosophy - Keep It Simple Stupid. Ya gotta have fuel and spark to make an engine run. To keep it running depends on how well you tune the fuel delivery and spark. I've been doing this for over 50 years and depend on the FSM. There is a Troubleshooting section in the FSM. Go through each system thoroughly BY THE BOOK. I'm familiar with the HI-4 unit, I had one on my old 72 XLCH. They are pretty much foolproof. Go back at what you have worked on and recheck everything. Something as simple as a pinched wire will make ya nuckingfuts. Most important is Diagnostic Skill. Don't just throw parts at it . . .it's frustrating and a waste of $$$$.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Montanadyna
6th Gear

Really? You think? Having owned this scoot for 23 years, do ALL the work myself I'm pretty sure I don't just throw bucks at a problem. Turns out that my starter relay went **** up. Go figure 23 years and it went out, dam 23 years is all I get for a $15 part. But thanks for your input on that I don't know what I'm doing. Keep up the condisending outlook. It was a huge help.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member

Sorry Montanadyna, I did not mean to sound condescending. Your part about changing the petcock to be sure you had fuel flowing gave me the impression that you were clueless. I honestly do not remember the year HD went to the vacuum petcock, which may have been a problem. By the way, vacuum petcock are very easy to repair for next to nothing. Bottom line is, I am glad you got your Dyna running again. Have a nice nice day.