Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install of Front & Rear Brake Pads

Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 AM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install of Front & Rear Brake Pads

Request for guide to change the front & rear brake pads of 2014 Dyna Street Bob. Can't find very good guide from YouTube.
1) Do I need to apply copper grease to the back of the brake pads for front & back?
2) If yes, is there a template that use for Dyna to apply the copper grease? The EBC brake pads I bought does not have template for front & back. There are videos from YouTube that show template to apply at the back of the brake pads for touring model.
3) Understand that copper grease is apply when there will be moving surface between two metals. Isn't grease is slippery when rain flow the grease to the brake pads and rotor?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:42 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

no copper grease required. ABS is not a factor in changing pads

tons of vids out there you are probably just looking for specific model year type stuff. the calipers haven't changed much since 08-09:

front

do not remove the bolt x'd in red. the w/m shaped clips hold the pads in and may make them hard to remove.... Highlighted. do not yank the pads out

rear

the rear can be tricky due to the pad guides and the pad backings. Highlighted

i do put a little caliper grease on the back of the pads but, it is not required and may not even be good practice.

covered in the service manual. we can help you through it but, next time... get yourself an OFFICIAL service manual it covers all the torques specs and such.

2014 dyna service manual part number: 99481-14A

Last edited by cvaria; 07-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

+1 on above, and make sure when you put the calipers back on that the pads have not slipped out, also before you start put something in between the front brake lever and the throttle, I normally use a rubber ball so you do not squeeze that brake, otherwise everything will pop out of the caliper, I also zip tie the rear brake to the frame in case I hit it by accident moving around if you are in a tight space, or anybody else touching it.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
cvaria
Thank you very much for the information. I saw the first video before, it is very good guide with english subtitle.

The image for the front brake, not sure is it ok to apply a little of copper grease to the w/m shaped clips, to have some protection against rust and metal to metal rub.

The second video at timing 4:25, not sure why the person want to remove the Phenolic insulator. Not sure is it ok to apply some copper grease after that so that next time remove is mush easier.

Here are some videos show that copper grease is apply on the back of the brake pads. Those are touring model.
timing start @ 12:00
timing start @ 6:00

Mine Dyna is the 2014 model. I have the 2013 Dyna service manual. I had read the service manual, no copper grease and no template require written in the service manual. But after seeing many YouTube videos showing copper grease apply to touring model, tend to get confuse is it necessary to apply copper grease. Understand that if the service manual never mention, then follow the manual is correct, isn't it?

Old 07-04-2017, 09:26 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jackietan
Thank you very much for the information. I saw the first video before, it is very good guide with english subtitle.

The image for the front brake, not sure is it ok to apply a little of copper grease to the w/m shaped clips, to have some protection against rust and metal to metal rub.

Mine Dyna is the 2014 model. I have the 2013 Dyna service manual. I had read the service manual, no copper grease and no template require written in the service manual. But after seeing many YouTube videos showing copper grease apply to touring model, tend to get confuse is it necessary to apply copper grease. Understand that if the service manual never mention, then follow the manual is correct, isn't it?
those vids you posted are touring brembro calipers, not the calipers that are stock on your bike. very different set up, i'm running those on my sportster. the hd touring pads come with those templaes ans grease, my lyndall z+ pads did not come with the copper grease.

i used/use caliper grease on my stock calipers with lyndall pads.

front:
7256-Z
https://www.ebay.com/i/262496246480?chn=ps&dispItem=1

rear:
7257-z
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyndall-Raci...-/301875325808

the grease is not required on stock dyna pads. you can apply whatever you want. it's your bike. if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, go for it.

the 2013 service manual is fine not much changed. i still use the 2013 manual on my 2012. no big deal.

Last edited by cvaria; 07-04-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Tmag53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me what size wrench is needed to remove the retaining pin on rear brake pads on 2008 Dyna Super. Very small and I can't seem to fit anything to it.

Retaining pin.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:33 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmag53
Can anyone tell me what size wrench is needed to remove the retaining pin on rear brake pads on 2008 Dyna Super. Very small and I can't seem to fit anything to it.

Retaining pin.

1/4" 12 point will get the job done. It has to be a 12 point, or you're buying a new retaining pin...

Old 08-29-2017, 05:34 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
1/4" 12 point will get the job done. It has to be a 12 point, or you're buying a new retaining pin...
Tin, i've seen the post before referencing the 1/4" 12 point. But, I'm pretty sure its metric. Do you know what the metric size is?

Old 08-29-2017, 05:40 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by jcanrun
Tin, i've seen the post before referencing the 1/4" 12 point. But, I'm pretty sure its metric. Do you know what the metric size is?
It is metric, I think it's a 6.25/6.30mm, but the 1/4" 12 point will work. I've got some nice tools and I've never found a proper metric fit for that retaining pin, the 1/4" 12 point is the closest I've gotten to a solid fit on that retaining pin...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 08-29-2017 at 05:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jcanrun (08-30-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Ed Ard
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

How important are those PITA anti-rattle springs in the front pistons?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Install of Front & Rear Brake Pads