Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Fine metal flakes in Engine Oil***

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:12 AM
MessnerG
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Fine metal flakes in Engine Oil***

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty concerned, so I changed my engine oil and after a couple of rides I checked the level and noticed it was a little high, I proceeded to drain a little and noticed a big amount of metal particles, I had a high intensity light and was able to clearly see it. The particles were very fine just like gold dust. is this something I need to be concerned? should I have to take immediate action? Does anyone have an idea what could it be?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Model/year/mileage? What did your drain plug look like? Got any pics?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:25 AM
MessnerG
Stage IV

Unfortunately I did not take pictures but it looked like glitter, I drained a half a qt. only and it was all over. I did not see how the plug looked like since I put it right back, I noticed the metal particles as I was emptying the oil into a container, it was night time and I had a pretty bright light, so as it shined the oil that's when I noticed. Should I have to entirely drain the oil and get a new oil filter?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM
MessnerG
Stage IV

it is a Dyna low rider 2008, 10K

Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MessnerG
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty concerned, so I changed my engine oil and.....
So, what got you concerned that you thought you should change your oil?

Or are you really saying, "I changed my oil, and noticed after a couple of rides, that I over-filled it"

On to the particles... were they the color of gold dust, or were they bright like silver?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM
MessnerG
Stage IV

I originally changed my oil as part of the 10K maintenance, but I drained it because I did overfill it by less than a qt. I didn't have time to drained the same day so after a couple of rides I drained and that's when I found the metal particles, the color is silver, I will put a magnet and determine if are magnetic.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

I think what the guys are trying to tell you is gold-ish is probably brass = bushings etc. more than likely normal unless it's excess as in leaving sediment in the bottom of your pan. Silver-ish = metal = steal or aluminum = bad. Steal would stick to the drain plug magnet, best bet if you're really concerned is sacrifice the oil and see if there's anything sticking to the magnet on the drain plug.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM
JLRB
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thing with HD synthetic oil. I drained it out of the motor cycle and changed it again and check it after a couple of hundred miles and could see like glitter in the oil. So I used a clear container and checked a new quart of HD oil and sure enough it is an additive they put into their oil. I do not know the purpose of this, but it is scary to see at first.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by JLRB
I went through the same thing with HD synthetic oil. I drained it out of the motor cycle and changed it again and check it after a couple of hundred miles and could see like glitter in the oil. So I used a clear container and checked a new quart of HD oil and sure enough it is an additive they put into their oil. I do not know the purpose of this, but it is scary to see at first.
That reminds me of the old "Slick 50" stuff that supposedly had Teflon particles suspended in it that bonded to your cylinder walls and allow the motor to run forever...

Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I wouldn't run HD's synthetic if you paid me... stuff is crap in my opinion... and yes, I did run some years ago... never again.

The following users liked this post:
blueangel73 (07-20-2017)

Quick Reply: **Fine metal flakes in Engine Oil***