Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 PM
chiefy305
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install

Hey all i searched and read lots of post but couldnt find my answer. Are there any cams i can install without changing pushrods and new lifters? just install retune and go.. thank you in advance and plz discuss
i have a 15 streetbob
andrews woods ss or se

Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, any Bolt In would be fine

Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Just involves more work but most certainly can be done ..

Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

The reason people change the pushrods usually is so you don't have to pull the top of the motor apart. So, the $ you save on adjustable pushrods will be partially spent on gaskets to put it back together, as well as the extra labor of removing the tank and the rocker box covers, etc.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (12-03-2020)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Like they’ve said you can do it, just more work. Remember that you limit your cam choice heavily in that you must ensure same lobe circle. As an example, Andrews, lists the 57h cam as a True bolt in for 103’s, and they pretty much are but we’ve had at least a couple people on the board complain of a little more clatter which they attributed to tiny difference in lobe.

Joys of adjustable pushrods is that they can make minute changes. FYI if you get the S&S Quickee style you won’t have to remove the lifter covers since you’re not planning on replacing them. All other adjustable rods that I know of you would have to pull them.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

swap to adjustable and life will be easier moving forward.

long vid but, he goes over the rods and such pretty early on.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,207 Posts

[QUOTE=robbyville;16832242]Like they’ve said you can do it, just more work. Remember that you limit your cam choice heavily in that you must ensure same lobe circle. As an example, Andrews, lists the 57h cam as a True bolt in for 103’s, and they pretty much are but we’ve had at least a couple people on the board complain of a little more clatter which they attributed to tiny difference in lobe.

Joys of adjustable pushrods is that they can make minute changes. FYI if you get the S&S Quickee style you won’t have to remove the lifter covers since you’re not planning on replacing them. All other adjustable rods that I know of you would have to pull them.[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the pushrod covers rather than the lifter covers. With that said, there are a couple of options that allow this other than the Quickees. Smith Brothers/Fuel Moto's come to mind, though some say they're a pain to adjust with the stock covers. I have a set waiting for this winter, so I guess I'll find out.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

[QUOTE=martinj;16832526]
Originally Posted by robbyville
Like they’ve said you can do it, just more work. Remember that you limit your cam choice heavily in that you must ensure same lobe circle. As an example, Andrews, lists the 57h cam as a True bolt in for 103’s, and they pretty much are but we’ve had at least a couple people on the board complain of a little more clatter which they attributed to tiny difference in lobe.

Joys of adjustable pushrods is that they can make minute changes. FYI if you get the S&S Quickee style you won’t have to remove the lifter covers since you’re not planning on replacing them. All other adjustable rods that I know of you would have to pull them.[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the pushrod covers rather than the lifter covers. With that said, there are a couple of options that allow this other than the Quickees. Smith Brothers/Fuel Moto's come to mind, though some say they're a pain to adjust with the stock covers. I have a set waiting for this winter, so I guess I'll find out.
Nope, sorry, I mean with the quickees you don't have to remove the lifter (tappet) covers to install the adjustable rods. Whereas with at least the SE and normal S&S adjustables, there's not enough room to slide the rods through and into PR covers and heads without removing the lifter covers.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM
FLASH1970
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3,155 Likes on 1,152 Posts

There are plenty of cam choices to choose from. I did my cams on a budget and didn't want to cut out my pushrods and have to get adjustables. I looked at what my stock valve springs were rated for as far as lift and went with a set of cams that didn't require a spring change. I pulled the tank, rocker box covers, rockers, and pulled the pushrods out. It wasn't that hard to do at all. Now ive been on SE204's for a couple years with stock lifters and pushrods.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,207 Posts

[QUOTE=robbyville;16832551]
Originally Posted by martinj

Nope, sorry, I mean with the quickees you don't have to remove the lifter (tappet) covers to install the adjustable rods. Whereas with at least the SE and normal S&S adjustables, there's not enough room to slide the rods through and into PR covers and heads without removing the lifter covers.
Ok, I get it now. Sorry, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet....

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (11-16-2017)

Quick Reply: cam install