Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to enable EITMS on 2017 FXDF Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by tnichols
Oh! Thank you... I will have to look into a tuner. Someone told me that changing the tuner will void the warranty. I can tell its lean. The engine wants to surge or hesitate. My 1970 Ironhead is smoother.

I also wonder if a tuner will work with the stock pipes. I like the looks and sound of the stock exhaust and have no plans on change it.

If you were to purchase your flash tuner from Fuel Moto, for example, you tell them your bike's configuration and they'll preload the exact map in the tuner for you to flash to the ECM. Stock pipes, stock A/C, they'll have a map that will improve your bike's performance.

Once you've flashed the new map you can do some auto tuning to fine tune the map to your specific bike; even left completely stock, a proper map and a few auto tune runs will make a world of difference.

Now, as far as voiding the warranty on your '17, I honestly don't know. Since the EPA settlement HD has been a bit unpredictable with the '17's and '18's from what I'm reading. I've always figured I didn't have a warranty and always did just what I wanted, right out of the box, but that's me

Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

If you get a tuner, I'd highly suggest Powervision. And if you get pv, you'll definitely want to get it from fuel moto. Tuners will work with stock bikes, Powervision will work with anything from slip on pipes to a 124 big bore kit. The dealer says they can tell if your bike has been tuned, but I honestly don't believe this to be true. You save your factory tune before you change the tune. Then if you ever need warranty work you just flash it back to the original tune.

Im a tech at a Chrysler dealer so module flashes are something I do daily and the flash number is simply an 8 digit number followed by two letters (aa, ab, ac, etc) so when we have customers that tune their vehicles, we can tell it's not a Chrysler flash number, once they return their tune to the factory tune, it just goes back to the Chrysler number. We have no way of telling when the module was last flashed or how many times or anything other than the current flash number. Granted this is Chrysler and not Harley, but it should still function the same way.

A a friend of mine is a tech for HD so I'm gonna ask him and I'll post back.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

What is it anyhow?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 PM
tnichols
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
If you get a tuner, I'd highly suggest Powervision. And if you get pv, you'll definitely want to get it from fuel moto. Tuners will work with stock bikes, Powervision will work with anything from slip on pipes to a 124 big bore kit. The dealer says they can tell if your bike has been tuned, but I honestly don't believe this to be true. You save your factory tune before you change the tune. Then if you ever need warranty work you just flash it back to the original tune.

Im a tech at a Chrysler dealer so module flashes are something I do daily and the flash number is simply an 8 digit number followed by two letters (aa, ab, ac, etc) so when we have customers that tune their vehicles, we can tell it's not a Chrysler flash number, once they return their tune to the factory tune, it just goes back to the Chrysler number. We have no way of telling when the module was last flashed or how many times or anything other than the current flash number. Granted this is Chrysler and not Harley, but it should still function the same way.

Very interesting!! I can't wait until your friend gets back to you.

I talked to the dealer today. I asked him if he can just make my bike a bit richer at idle. He said with the stock bike/tuner, there is very little he can do. And buying a different tuner for my stock bike would not make financial sense.

That is what he said. I am just learning about these things.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689

+1 here - get a Power Vision from Fuel Moto with a custom tune for your setup. It stores your stock flash tune and you can
go back to it at any time if you have to take it back to the dealer. And down the road FM will supply you with an update
tune for any mods that you may make - i.e. cams etc.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
+1 here - get a Power Vision from Fuel Moto with a custom tune for your setup. It stores your stock flash tune and you can
go back to it at any time if you have to take it back to the dealer. And down the road FM will supply you with an update
tune for any mods that you may make - i.e. cams etc.
i made the mistake of buying my pv from the HD dealer cause I get an employee discount. When you do this, it only comes with 3 tunes which didn't apply to my upgrades. I completely forgot to talk to my buddy but I'm goin to wolverine on lunch so I'll talk to him and post back

Old 12-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok so I talked to my friend at Harley, there isn't really any way they can tell if your bike has been tuned if you return it to stock. Obviously if you have the dealer do anything to the tune, then it would be documented on the service record. If you order a tuner through the dealer that too would be a giveaway. More reason to order pv from fuel moto.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Just one word of caution. The dealer service dept may or may not be able to tell (at this time) if a flash was applied to your ecm and the original tune is reapplied, but HD can definitely tell. If you have a major warranty claim (blown up motor, etc.) and HD sees a flash applied, your warranty is bye bye. There are numerous posts about 17 and later warranties being voided. Best thing is to wait until your factory warranty is up before getting an aftermarket tune.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,401 Likes on 6,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Just one word of caution. The dealer service dept may or may not be able to tell (at this time) if a flash was applied to your ecm and the original tune is reapplied, but HD can definitely tell. If you have a major warranty claim (blown up motor, etc.) and HD sees a flash applied, your warranty is bye bye. There are numerous posts about 17 and later warranties being voided. Best thing is to wait until your factory warranty is up before getting an aftermarket tune.
This is correct. You just need to dig a little deeper into the ecm than most dealers are capable of to tell if an ecm has been flashed, but it can be done.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
This is correct. You just need to dig a little deeper into the ecm than most dealers are capable of to tell if an ecm has been flashed, but it can be done.

See i I find this hard to believe. I just don't see how they can tell when/if the tune was modified when the tuner erases rprom and uploads a new tune, then does it again when you restore the oem tune. Maybe I'm niave in believing this but it's not like the dealer is gonna ship the ecm in if the engine locks up.

I I know on automotive applications we send in what's called a scan report, but that has the same info we see on the scanner which is basically just flash software number, configuration/options, and anything saved in the module like dtc's or customer preferences.

Id really like to know details on what they use or how they can see if it's been tuned. Besides that, if you go in with a serious problem, and all you have is ac, pipes, and/or cams (like 50% of people do) how deep are they really gonna dig? I can understand taking it further for a bike like mine with a big bore kit but I feel like most times the tech would check the tune, see its oem and just move on with the repair/authorization. Then again, that's just my thinking. I'll probably never know anyway.