Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 PM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I am following this thread, anything I can add to my knowledge of lighting the better.
Hi blueangel, I bought the Electra Glo. It is originally for Touring model, I want to install on my Dyna.

My existing rear light wiring are:
Red (Brake) / White (Positive) / Green (Turn) / Black (Negative)

The Electra Glo has six LEDs on each lamp, I tested one of the lamp using a 9v battery
Purple (Three LEDs lighted on the left) / Black & Green (Negative) / Purple & White (Three LEDs lighted on the right)

I have draft a wiring diagram, thinking to combine my existing rear light with the Electra Glo. To check will it work or will it cause short circuit?

1. Can I join both the Negative wire from existing rear light with the Electra Glo together?
2. Can I combine the two Electra Glo wires and connect to existing rear light Brake and Running separately?

Last edited by jackietan; 01-05-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:26 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

First off, were are working with a bike that is a CANBUS system and the new lights are also for a CANBUS system, correct? If so, tapping into the system might do more harm then good. Something you might want to consider is looking at the module that is used on the touring bikes to attapt this to them. There are three versions (PN-69200779A, 69200948A and 69200949A). They may be a way to change the connectors on bike to module side (with different connector housings if needed or swapping pins around) that would allow you to just plug the lights in without having to do any splicing or damage to the wires. I am sure if you jump over to the touring side and ask for some details on the modules or for some pics of the bike to module side connectors, you might be able to figure out what the wires do and how to tweak them to be used on your ride. Inwould imaging that the module acts as a bridge to reduce the multi wires going into it to the three wite setup coming out of it, in a since, doing the splice work for you without compremising the system.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:46 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

I have tested the Electra Glo when connect the two light wire individually and combine, and the negative wire.
Purple (Three LEDs lighted on the left) / Black & Green (Negative) / Purple & White (Three LEDs lighted on the right)

Anyone can help me if this wiring diagram can work or will cause short circuit?
1. Can I join both the Negative wire from Existing Light with the Electra Glo together?
2. Can I combine the two Electra Glo wires and connect to Existing Light Brake and Running separately?

Last edited by jackietan; 01-06-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:51 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Only way you’re really going to find out is to just test it and then dealing with the results. When joining the two lines (brake/run) i would wonder if the lights would know the difference and adjust the brightness. This is where the CANBUS system comes into play and could get bad signal readings, causing maybe not a short but reather just a fault and not working at all. If you are fine with just using the lights as a single operation (a brake light or a turn signal), the it should be possible because you’re telling the light to either be on or off via the signal.

To do the test you want to achieve, simply join the two wires on the light together and test on the run wire from the bike. If the lights come on without a fault then Attempt to splice (just touch it wire the wire) in the brake or turn signal and see if the light adjust with the signal changes (gets brighter). If it works and you don’t get any faults then you should be good, in theory.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

Do you know how to dismantle / teardown to replace the LEDs? The front red cover don't seem able to remove, there is no screw behind either.
I have connected it direct to my Dyna 12v, it get hot and some LEDs burn. I tested it again, it is more stable at 6v.

Last edited by jackietan; 01-07-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:50 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

After many tired and spoilt two of the LED, finally I figure out the wiring for the module of Harley Davidson Electra Glo LED, Run / Brake / Turn Light and install in on my 2014 Dyna Street Bob

Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Good job! Persistence pays off yet again!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM
Rayskills
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra Glo led saddlebag lights

Hello my name is ray and i purchased the electra glow led saddlebag lights for my 2003 roadking .i have the 2014 saddlebags im having problems with the wiring is there any way u can draw out the wiring diagram for this application u can call me at 908-644-5449 whenever you get a chance i will really appreciate it thanks

Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 555 Likes on 329 Posts

Check out his pictures...it shows spliced wires.

As far as calling, you realize he is in Singapore...approximately 13 hours ahead of you (EST).

Old 09-21-2018, 12:39 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

Hi Ray, first of all, do not connect directly to your bike. You need to wire using the Module that come together with the LED light. Connect both the Left and Right LED together with the module. Test it one by one from the six pins at the open end of the module using your battery. When you have find out the Running Light and (-), connect one more wire from the (+) battery to test which pin is the Brake Light. After you find out all these, you need to find out which are the Left & Right Signal Light, Brake Light, Running Light and (-) wire on your bike. Let me know you if you have more questions. Or you can take some photos and PM to me.
Originally Posted by Rayskills
Hello my name is ray and i purchased the electra glow led saddlebag lights for my 2003 roadking .i have the 2014 saddlebags im having problems with the wiring is there any way u can draw out the wiring diagram for this application u can call me at 908-644-5449 whenever you get a chance i will really appreciate it thanks