Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Predator Front Mount Users

Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Vibration was not too much an issue on my 05 Dyna and the Predator may have toned it down a bit but the Handling is what makes the Predator Shine .. At least that was my results with it ..

The following users liked this post:
2004DynaRider (04-12-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I never had any complaints about the vibration characteristics of the stock mounts until my front finally gave out. Wanted to add stabilizers anyway amd didn't like the way the other ones looked (purely aesthetic) so I split the difference and got the Predator. No complaints. It looks decent and hope it will hold up over time. Combining with the other two stabilizer links really solidifies the tracking and transitional feel of the Dyna. I haven't pushed any corners hard yet but I see no reason to suspect the trend to change.

The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
crusader1xxx (03-03-2019), JayStronghawk (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:55 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I agree. If you want to add a a stabilizer, go for a link that uses the stock motor mounts. That way when they ware out, you can get replacement parts easy. Alignment is the first thing to look at.
I recommend the Predator from the standpoint of not introducing the weak stock mount back in to the picture. The stock design works okay for the rear mount, and I would agree that a Sputhe link back there would be great (maybe one day). But the HD design for the front is pretty poor for what it needs to do. ... and... why HD didn't keep Buell's three link design in there is mind boggling... except well.... 'aftermarket'.. I've always said that the bike is just the down payment on the accessories.

But you would think the MoCo would learn after the failed compensator sprockets on the early 96's. Eventually the SE branded model became stock equipment.

JayStronghawk (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
I recommend the Predator from the standpoint of not introducing the weak stock mount back in to the picture. The stock design works okay for the rear mount, and I would agree that a Sputhe link back there would be great (maybe one day). But the HD design for the front is pretty poor for what it needs to do. ... and... why HD didn't keep Buell's three link design in there is mind boggling... except well.... 'aftermarket'.. I've always said that the bike is just the down payment on the accessories.

But you would think the MoCo would learn after the failed compensator sprockets on the early 96's. Eventually the SE branded model became stock equipment.
Not sure what happened or if I just got lucky but the original mount on my FXDX lasted 50000 miles. I suspect that when HD changed the frame they got something off alignment wise or they had a batch of bad mounts. I do suspect that some of it may be due to the weight of the exhaust system. It's funny but I don't run a rear Sputhe mount any more. On my bike it didn't make any difference. Sputhe stays on the front tho.

The 3 link systems from the factory would have been nice, the new sporties have it, but the Dyna is dead so I guess they don't have to worry about it.

The original comp on the 96s functioned a bunch better than the early ones (1985 to 2006) but didn't last, especially if the motor was built up. Even the current comp for TCs ain't that hot. Looks like the M8s will fit but haven't tried one.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM
KarmaSportster
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the Predator motor mount last week with only 12,000 miles on the bike. I was hoping for a vibration reduction. After installing it and going for a ride, the vibrations are worse than before BUT the handling is better in curves.
I don't mind vibrations as I had an 03 Sportster but this is a new bike and it shouldn't vibrate as much as it does. OTHERWISE, I like the Predator mount.

Anyone know how to reduce the vibrations between idle and 2600RPM?

Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by KarmaSportster
I installed the Predator motor mount last week with only 12,000 miles on the bike. I was hoping for a vibration reduction. After installing it and going for a ride, the vibrations are worse than before BUT the handling is better in curves.
I don't mind vibrations as I had an 03 Sportster but this is a new bike and it shouldn't vibrate as much as it does. OTHERWISE, I like the Predator mount.

Anyone know how to reduce the vibrations between idle and 2600RPM?
ride at 2700 rpm 🙃

KarmaSportster (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM
NVNobody
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I finally got my Predator installed a week or so ago. It only took 3 business days to be on my front porch from time I ordered, 5 total because I ordered late in the day on a Thursday. Still exceptional service I say! I haven't had a chance to "git it" in the corners of the canyons around here yet. I've only been up to 80 or so through them, still too much damn sand on the road yet. Every time I think the weather looks like spring it snows again ughh. It does seem like it transfers a tiny bit more or different frequency of vibrations to the foot pegs riding around town. Not enough to complain about for me honestly. Installation was easy and I'm happy so far, I'll report back again when I can actually corner the pig haha.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:01 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by robertomendo;17089581[b
]

My stock front motor mount was toast when I bought the bike with 11k miles on it. Oil spilling onto the mount from changing the filter eats the rubber in the mount which is already a poor design.

I put on the predator because it's design protects the rubber from spilled oil. I did not buy it to enhance handling or reduce vibrations. The vibes are gone and the handling seems the same. I am happy that at about twice the cost of the garbage stock mount I now have one that works better and I hope will last longer than two stock replacements. Why spend good money and time to replace a known bad part with another stock one?

My Front Mount at 17,000 Miles .. Before Blame me this is how it was when Bought the Ride 2 Years Ago ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 03-19-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 AM
espinozarj
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Predator mount this weekend

Hi. Long time lurker. Installed this weekend and put about 250 miles on the new mount. Noticed that vibrations are down at the handlebars. Handling also improved. Couple of observations of the old mount. I was surprised how worn the front mount was after 20k. Also, there was defiantly contact with the rubber material with the upper engine mount. The mount was polished pretty good. Lastly, I was amazed how far I had to lift the engine to align the new mount up to the frame holes. This indicates to me I had a bit of sag with the old mount. Sorry no pics. I am too new. Funny, I have been avid reader of the forum since 2008 right when I purchased my Fat bob. You guys have helped me a lot keeping it going. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 793 Likes on 571 Posts

11 years as a lurker! That may be a record.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for Predator Front Mount Users