Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Predator Front Mount Users

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Question for Predator Front Mount Users

Did installing the Predator make a noticeable reduction in motor vibration on your Dyna?Would you say it was worth installing just for vibration reduction.?
Thanks.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:18 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

It cut down on the vibrations at the bars but it more helped with handling on curves at highway speeds.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jay Guild:
F86 (02-13-2018), JayStronghawk (03-19-2019), TinCupChalice (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:18 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I have the exact opposite. My vibrations increase a lot at idle. However, the vibratechnics mounts works exceptionally well at keeping the motor stable in a curve. So,....the bike handles better but shakes a lot more

The following 2 users liked this post by misfitJason:
TinCupChalice (02-14-2018), Vec (03-10-2019)
Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM
robertomendo
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a couple hundred miles on my switchback since installing the predator. I have not noticed any change in handling but my vibrations are pretty much gone at any rpm.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:33 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I did not really notice a difference in vibration ( which was not an issue for me), bit having the front stabilizer link does improve stability.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I'm totally with TinCup and Jason... The value of the Predator is far greater in the handling department than the vibration-reduction department...

The following 2 users liked this post by F86:
JayStronghawk (03-19-2019), TinCupChalice (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:21 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I keep reading that it doesn't help much with vibration control(but it does for some),which is what's stopping me from fitting one.
I find it odd that a device designed for controlling/decreasing motor vibration,with stableising as a side affect,is working the other way round for quite a few owners.
Maybe it's because some Dynas don't need the vibration fix.
Thanks for the replies

Old 02-14-2018, 05:45 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
I'm totally with TinCup and Jason... The value of the Predator is far greater in the handling department than the vibration-reduction department...
Quoted for truth

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
I keep reading that it doesn't help much with vibration control(but it does for some),which is what's stopping me from fitting one.
I find it odd that a device designed for controlling/decreasing motor vibration,with stableising as a side affect,is working the other way round for quite a few owners.
Maybe it's because some Dynas don't need the vibration fix.
Thanks for the replies
The Dyna's mounts have a critical role. Braking and acceleration forces from the rear transmit to the frame through the mounts, and engine torque is pitching the engine up and down at the front mount; the mounts need to be stiff enough to keep the wheels from going out of alignment in both vertical and longitudinal axis and the Dyna relies on the top stabilizer to keep the engine in vertical alignment.

While it may have worked in the pre-TwinCam era, now the mounts are overloaded; the bikes are heavier and engine displacement has gotten larger. To me the idea behind the Predator was to add stiffness and damping to the longitudinal, vertical, and yaw axis, along with the addition of a stablizer link to prevent any side to side motion.

Basically, the OEM mounts are a flawed design and HD gave the mounts no thought at all; it took the aftermarket to come up with some properly engineered solutions. The Predator is a very elegant solution; it may add vibrations at lower RPM's but the trade off in handling and stability is absolutely more than worth it. I doubt their goal was to reduce vibrations when they designed the Predator mount, but rather to correct the inherent flaws of the HD mount and improve the handling and stability of the Dyna.

Try the Predator, you will become a believer

The following 6 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
crusader1xxx (03-03-2019), F86 (02-14-2018), Greezey Rider (04-07-2019), JayStronghawk (03-19-2019), rideon (02-14-2018), wideglideCVO (02-14-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 AM
robertomendo
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My stock front motor mount was toast when I bought the bike with 11k miles on it. Oil spilling onto the mount from changing the filter eats the rubber in the mount which is already a poor design. I put on the predator because it's design protects the rubber from spilled oil. I did not buy it to enhance handling or reduce vibrations. The vibes are gone and the handling seems the same. I am happy that at about twice the cost of the garbage stock mount I now have one that works better and I hope will last longer than two stock replacements. Why spend good money and time to replace a known bad part with another stock one?

Last edited by robertomendo; 02-14-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 AM
phatboyee
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed mine due to terrible vibration only during decel...completely fixed the issue.

Quick Reply: Question for Predator Front Mount Users