Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak while on Sidestand

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:11 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Oil leak while on Sidestand

2012 Superglide Custom
tons of exterior mods, powertrain is stock w/stage one

Over the winter the bike was sitting upright on my table lift. Been riding it all summer and just this past week (was sitting off the lift on its side stand, while on vacation w/family) I came home to notice a small amount of oil on the floor under the bike. I can't see where it is coming from and all around the primary/pulley its dry. No where I touch its wet. At first I thought maybe trans fluid but its not (i use spectro which is green in color) this is oil ....Nothing is over filled and its only been since sitting for a week on the side stand....

Just wondering on a 2012 what it might be...I heard the mainshaft bearing can walk and cause a leak but I thought that was earlier year bikes....

Anyone have any idea's? of where I should be looking? going to be a winter project if I have to tear into the primary but thought id ask first...

Last edited by crusader1xxx; 09-03-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

First get a mirror and a trouble light and start looking. I just went through this on my Ultra. It would leave a spot on the floor about the size of a 50 cent piece. After some digging I found it to be my transmission seal. I tore it down and replaced all seals since I was going that far.

Other things I looked at were inner primary O rings, (replaced) stator plug, and a loose primary drain plug. All to find the "leak spot". Something else I was torn about was the amount of primary oil to use. (I only use a qt) No matter what the manual calls for my Indy says never to fill to the bottom of the derby cover like some manuals call for. Only fill about a 1/2 inch up the clutch and no more. Transmission vent was also looked at to make sure it wasn't plugged. Hope this helps some.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 07:40 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

What seal has oil 'pressing' against it when on the kickstand, and doesn't when straight up?

I would take a good look at the primary / clutch cover seal.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:55 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks guys...was looking at it late today, primary is dry, trans is dry, motor is dry on the right side but there is some oil under the filter on the engine mounting bolts which looks like It moved down the left front of the motor and dripped to the floor at the left side bottom case.
I have an oil cooler but the lines are dry, oil filter itself is dry but I can’t get my finger under the bottom to see if it# the filter.
I’m doing an oil change this week so I’ll clean it up, replace the filter and hopefully that will cure it.

i checked the stator plug area and it seemed dry....

anything else up front that might cause an oil leak?