Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 PM
TylerFXDB.
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust install

I bought a Sawicki speed shop exhaust for my 2014 Street bob after installing I noticed a bad exhaust leak around the heads/flange both front and back. You can definitely feel the air flowing out without blocking the end of the pipe. What did I do wrong? Do I need new gaskets? I didn’t use the stock snap rings/c-clips due to the pipes having one built in.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM
matt85
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerFXDB.
I bought a Sawicki speed shop exhaust for my 2014 Street bob after installing I noticed a bad exhaust leak around the heads/flange both front and back. You can definitely feel the air flowing out without blocking the end of the pipe. What did I do wrong? Do I need new gaskets? I didn’t use the stock snap rings/c-clips due to the pipes having one built in.
Did you use new exhaust gaskets? Did you torque down the flange nuts to 100-120 in-lbs? When I install my exhaust, I use new gaskets and I get everything finger tight including flange nuts, exhaust clamps, etc. Then I work my way from the rear to the front torquing everything down making sure it is on straight and not binding/twisting anywhere.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,014 Likes on 590 Posts

If you didn't replace the exhaust gaskets when you installed the sawicki I'd start there. Make sure the clips are inside the groove in the flange when you torque them down. Its possible to tighten it down with one of those clips sticking out but you'll bend the hell out of the clip and it'll never seal.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you remove the original gasket and replace with a new one? When I did my exhaust I knew I needed to replace the gasket but I almost missed it because it was so thin and blended into the motor. At first I thought there was no OEM gasket because it was difficult to actually see it.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 PM
TylerFXDB.
6th Gear

I did not replace the exhaust gaskets but am planning on stopping by the Harley dealer tomorrow for new ones. I didn’t think about it until after me and my old man was talking it over.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Get new gaskets. Also look for the bolt tightening sequence online. There's a pattern that you are supposed to use. I can't remember what it is offhand.
Also, make sure you get it tightened at the ports before you tighten down the mounts.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 PM
TylerFXDB.
6th Gear

Will do. And I might as well ask but I’ve searched and searched and can’t find anything on it. I did not use the snap rings that keep the flange on due to seeing other exhaust with the same style as the Sawicki where it bolts up to the head not needing them due to the design. I’ve tried to install them just Incase and I can’t fit it over the end of the head pipe. So if somebody that has a Sawicki or has installed one has some info on the snap ring that would be awesome.

Last edited by TylerFXDB.; 09-21-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Flinter
Road Captain

Well, now you did it. I had to go find the manual.

Install lower nut on front cylinder finger tight.
Install upper nut on front cylinder and tighten to 9-18 inch pounds.
Tighten lower front nut to 100-120 inch pounds.
Tighten upper front nut to 100-120 inch pounds.

Install rear UPPER nut finger tight.
Install rear lower nut and tighten to 9-18 inch pounds.
Tighten rear upper nut to 100-120 inch pounds.
Tighten rear lower nut to 100-120 inch pounds.

I don't know if you'll need that retaining ring with your pipes or not. I've never seen the design. Common sense though tells me that you will. In order to install it, you are going to need a set of snap ring pliers. Circlip pliers I believe is the proper name for what you need.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:05 PM
TylerFXDB.
6th Gear

Flinter, thank you!!! I just hope my local dealer has the gaskets in stock

Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Flinter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TylerFXDB.
Flinter, thank you!!! I just hope my local dealer has the gaskets in stock
No problem, man. I've had lots of people on here help me along the way.

Just remember...when installing the exhaust you are working in INCH pounds with the torque wrench.

Quick Reply: Exhaust install