Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffeting with road warrior fairing

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM
James Landon Brock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffeting with road warrior fairing

My 09 superglide has horrible buffeting with road warrior fairing,almost not safe to ride since my vision is so messed with. I use 15 inch windshield and comes about to my nose on my helmet. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:24 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

You might want to try a shorter windscreen. Shield height has a lot to do with buffeting depending on how tall you are. As a start, remove the windshield and see how you like it without the shield installed.

I also see that Memphis Shades sells a "vented windshield" that might help. The holes should let some air behind the screen to keep a big vacuum bubble from forming behind it. MS vented windscreen

You'll notice the newer Harley batwing fairings also have a vent for this reason.

I have a Laminar Lip on my Busa - made an enormous improvement, even if it looks a little goofy.

Last edited by AJ88V; 11-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, the fairing at the mounts has a little bit of angle adjustments. I adjusted my Gauntlet due to a little bit of buffeting. Try that before purchasing more windshields.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 PM
James Landon Brock
2nd Gear
Default New windshield

I have a 11 inch on the way instead of 15 to see if it helps everyone says the vented shields cause horrible buffeting so I stayed away from it. QUOTE=AJ88V;17819807]You might want to try a shorter windscreen. Shield height has a lot to do with buffeting depending on how tall you are. As a start, remove the windshield and see how you like it without the shield installed.

I also see that Memphis Shades sells a "vented windshield" that might help. The holes should let some air behind the screen to keep a big vacuum bubble from forming behind it. MS vented windscreen

You'll notice the newer Harley batwing fairings also have a vent for this reason.

I have a Laminar Lip on my Busa - made an enormous improvement, even if it looks a little goofy.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Pylot7
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Memphis shades makes a nice fork deflector that reduces the upward flow of air as it tries to fill the vacuum behind the windshield. I put a pair on my FXDC and it cured the under the chin air flow.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 PM
James Landon Brock
2nd Gear
Default Thanks

thank u I did not know they made these.
Originally Posted by Pylot7
Memphis shades makes a nice fork deflector that reduces the upward flow of air as it tries to fill the vacuum behind the windshield. I put a pair on my FXDC and it cured the under the chin air flow.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Half decent video discussing problem sources.

This is another route -

I myself got rid of the stock Harley barn door windshield and installed a Memphis Shades batwing with the shortest screen I could. Leaves the helmet out in the free air, but takes all the windblast off my arms and chest. Even some decent protection for my hands.

There are some other great products.
Laminar Lip worked great on my Hayabusa - actually amazing improvement.

Puig clip on extension

Last edited by AJ88V; 11-14-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM
TWilson_
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had the road warrior on my '14 FXDB for a couple weeks now. I started with the 13" shield, it directed the wind right into my forehead....I moved up to the 17" shield, which has improved where the wind hits me, but still experiencing some buffeting. Feels like I have a ton of wind coming up from below around the tank, but I'm not willing to run those lower fork shields just because I don't like the look. I'm going to mess with the angle of my fairing both forward and back, to see if it can put me in the right pocket of air. Definitely a work in progress, but if I find a solution that works for me, I will post here and I ask that you do the same!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 PM
James Landon Brock
2nd Gear
Default I’m in the same boat

Originally Posted by TWilson_
I've had the road warrior on my '14 FXDB for a couple weeks now. I started with the 13" shield, it directed the wind right into my forehead....I moved up to the 17" shield, which has improved where the wind hits me, but still experiencing some buffeting. Feels like I have a ton of wind coming up from below around the tank, but I'm not willing to run those lower fork shields just because I don't like the look. I'm going to mess with the angle of my fairing both forward and back, to see if it can put me in the right pocket of air. Definitely a work in progress, but if I find a solution that works for me, I will post here and I ask that you do the same!
I have now put a 2 inch tank lift on to see if that would help any and I have went from 15 inch to 11 inch shield but I have not been able to ride yet it has been 30 to 40 degrees and raining all week here

Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM
TWilson_
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have a tank lift on mine. Don’t know if it helps or hurts the airflow, just thought about that today. I may take it off to see if it changes anything. One adjustment at a time though so I can cancel things out.

Quick Reply: Buffeting with road warrior fairing