Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purpose for Risers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Talyon
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Purpose for Risers

The 06 Dyna Wide I purchased came with a ton of additions that I'm just now digesting through and trying to get it all together in a format that I can understand. Like...WHY?? I posted a saddle (seat) question not long ago, and got some awesome insight from the members here. So, in the aftermarket additions to my 06 Dyna WG, was a combo Speedo-Tach. Very nice but herein lay a problem. The owner also added a pair of 6" pullback risers. Man if looks could kill, this machine would be a slayer. Well except for the fact that the knuckle of the riser where the handle bars bolt on .. hits the aftermarket speedo both turning left and right. It really doesn't hamper the turning radius very much as it seems to hit right at the end of the throw. Never-the-less, there are slight indentations on the chrome ring of the speedo where it has been tapping.
Secondly, the way the handlebars are mounted and adjusted to the risers makes the handlebars tilt forward, like they are trying to compensate for rearward tilt of the riser? . It appears to me that the pullback risers are be cancelled out by the forward tilting handlebars. If I'm looking at it through my eyes, I would think that the risers would be way better if they were straight (and possibly shorter). I'm a old school guy whose used to seeing the line of the forks come up, the line of the risers comes up following the same degree and angle line as the forks....then the handlebars pulling back and adjusted as needed for control.
I think my real question lays in the title. What is the real purpose of risers? What is the length you need to look for, and why? What is the purpose of Pullback Risers (if any)??

Old 12-15-2018, 05:21 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

At the most basic level, they offer a cost effective way for the manufacturer to produce variety and ergonomically attach bars to trees. They're not strictly necessary. Anybody running "T" bars has ditched their risers to do so. These, of course, have zero adjustability so they must carefully selected (height, width, pullback, wrist angle) by the owner to ensure comfort. A volume manufacturer wouldn't want to stock potentially dozens of different bars (and cable sets) to accomodate all riders.

Beyond that, it's a free-for-all between ergonomics and styling, as well as countless other variables such as bar diameters, weight, strength, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Talyon (12-15-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 10:05 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Talyon
What is the real purpose of risers?
The real purpose of risers is to transfer money from your pocket into theirs.
What is the length you need to look for, and why?
To keep up with the Jones's, the higher the better.
What is the purpose of Pullback Risers (if any)??
Again, to remove your cash and deposit it into their pocket. That's really all it is.

Talyon (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:16 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Risers raise the bars higher.

Some people like them higher and feel it is more comfortable for them. It is cheaper and easier to add a set of risers than it is to buy taller bars. Depending on the height of the risers you may still have to get extended cables, in which case I think you might as well do it right and get taller bars.

They are just one way to change the bike to fit the rider.

Talyon (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I had the same situation with my bars and risers. 2 dings on the dash. I removed the pullback risers and installed straight risers of the same height. Pull back risers are for achieving the same looks for those with short arms. But as I noted in another thread taller risers with apes looks like ****.
I'm running 14" with 1.5" risers now.

Talyon (12-16-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

On my bike, they facilitate a more upright riding position.

Talyon (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Talyon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I had the same situation with my bars and risers. 2 dings on the dash. I removed the pullback risers and installed straight risers of the same height. Pull back risers are for achieving the same looks for those with short arms. But as I noted in another thread taller risers with apes looks like ****.
I'm running 14" with 1.5" risers now.
Sounds like you and I are cut outta the same bolt of cloth. I'm looking into 2" straights. I'll settle for 1 1/2"...maybe even 3". But I have one unforeseen catch. I have 1 1/4 " bars, so I'm having a bit of trouble finding a replacement riser to fit that bar size. Go Figure !!

Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Talyon
Sounds like you and I are cut outta the same bolt of cloth. I'm looking into 2" straights. I'll settle for 1 1/2"...maybe even 3". But I have one unforeseen catch. I have 1 1/4 " bars, so I'm having a bit of trouble finding a replacement riser to fit that bar size. Go Figure !!
Have you removed the bars yet? Lots of fat bars are stepped down to 1" where the riser attach. That may be the case with yours.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

The purpose of pullbacks and tilted forward bars is mostly for looks I run mine this way. Most running pullbacks do so to have their gauge mount tilt towards them. Bar/riser height is all for preference when I had fixed tbars at 14” my left shoulder would experience discomfort going down to 11.5 cured this issue. Pictured here is my personal setup

Talyon (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Talyon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Crazy
Have you removed the bars yet? Lots of fat bars are stepped down to 1" where the riser attach. That may be the case with yours.
Nope...they're true 1 1/4" Riser and Bars !!

Quick Reply: Purpose for Risers