Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken inner primary bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:30 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Broken inner primary bolt

Noticed a small leak under bike and upon closer inspection i found a broken bolt. The leak doesn't appear to be from the broken bolt though. Seems it's trickle from higher up.

To extract and replace the bolt it looks like i should need to remove outer and inner primary. Is this something that needs to be addressed right away or can it be ridden awhile without causing any damage?

Old 01-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Someone with machinist skills may be able to use extended center drill and use case as a drill guide. That would establish a centered starting hole, then use the appropriate size drill, and then an easy out. Bolt should not have much resistance except for Loctite.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If you were to remove the inner case would the case slip over the bolt or is there some of the bolt remaining to prohibit case removal. If the case can come off, is there enough to grab with vise grips, after soaking the bolt overnight with Liquid wrench, Kroil or whatever is available.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
If you were to remove the inner case would the case slip over the bolt or is there some of the bolt remaining to prohibit case removal. If the case can come off, is there enough to grab with vise grips, after soaking the bolt overnight with Liquid wrench, Kroil or whatever is available.
The inner cover should slide off easy. There should be plenty of the bolt left to grab and remove, but I'd like to try and avoid that. It's a pita to pull the primary and inner case off.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by SmittyFXDL
The inner cover should slide off easy. There should be plenty of the bolt left to grab and remove, but I'd like to try and avoid that. It's a pita to pull the primary and inner case off.
The best way to turn a project into a nightmare is know the best way to get it done and then do something else because it seems easier. It never is.

Pull the inner and outer primary covers (including the compensator and clutch basket) and remove the bolt with vise grips.

However, I wouldn't do it until I had a better reason to go into the primary.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-16-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
The best way to turn a project into a nightmare is know the best way to get it done and then do something else because it seems easier. It never is.

Pull the inner and outer primary covers (including the compensator and clutch basket) and remove the bolt with vise grips.

However, I wouldn't do it until I had a better reason to go into the primary.
Ok, are you thinking it will hold up fine riding till a better time to dig into the primaries?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You knew the answer before you asked the question......it's broke, fix it.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Too bad you not in Atlanta, It would probably take 10 minutes.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SmittyFXDL
Noticed a small leak under bike and upon closer inspection i found a broken bolt. The leak doesn't appear to be from the broken bolt though. Seems it's trickle from higher up.

To extract and replace the bolt it looks like i should need to remove outer and inner primary. Is this something that needs to be addressed right away or can it be ridden awhile without causing any damage?
That's not a inner primary bolt. I would assume it was a crankcase bolt but the crankcase bolt is right below it and the crankcase bolts are not that close together. What model and year bike is this from?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I also believe it is a case bolt. I think the angle of the photo makes it look closer than it is. Either way, are you sure it's broken off? Might just be missing. More pics needed.

Quick Reply: Broken inner primary bolt