Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another please help me thread.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Jr177
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another please help me thread.

I'm banging my head against a wall right now. I'm updating all the lighting on my '00fxdx. I put a Wismec LED headlight up front and an integrated brake/turn signal tombstone style light in the back. While putting led turn signals on, I can't figure out if I need a load equalizer or not. I went ahead and purchased a OZ USA load equalizer because it was 40$ and said it was plug in play. I bought it just in case so that I can get to riding sooner. Well I got the running/brake light portion of the tail light setup and now was working on splicing my front and rear turn signals. I had to stop because it was raining and dark out, but from what I figured, I don't see how this OZ module is plug in play. Every video I can find about these types of equalizers just plug into the rear lights harness, however my rear harness has no plug on it, just ring terminals that screw into a module under the seat. The I was reading that I might not need an equalizer in the first place. Can someone help a brother out here please?

Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm not sure about the meed for an equalizer on that bike but it's easy to test. Just plug in the lights. If they function properly and flash at the correct rate, you're GTG. If they flash too fast or don't work properly, or you get warning indicator(s), you'll need more resistance inline with the problem lamps.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:59 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

It's not an EFI bike and looks like all you have is a 'module, turn signal canceller' or TSCM as it's called out.

There's a good chance it cares how much current you're drawing... but like CG said, try it... if it blinks fast (or not) you'll need to convince the module your pulling enough current for a incandescent bulb (power resistor in parallel with the LED light).

While I was doing design work on a new set of turn signals (not done).. I determined they peak around 2amp with an incandescent bulb... the ECM needs to see at least 1amp to convince it is has bulb in there and not an LED. (on my bike - EFI - just showing a for instance here)

It would behoove you to find some schematics. Ronnie's has 'a little bit' but doesn't really show what you need. Someone on here might be able to point you to them though.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

The pitfalls of owning an older bike. The newer ones have plugs that are already in the harness, sub-harness' so that they can be upgraded without going into the main harness. A wiring schematic/diagram would be helpful in your case.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 02-17-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 721 Likes on 554 Posts

Pictures of your current harness and wiring under the seat would help.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Doubt it's the same on older models, but on my '15, when I put on LED taillights I got the fast blinky issue. A guy at the dealer told me to just leave the hazard lights flashing for about 10 minutes and it helps the computer learn the new resistance and what not. Ended up working for me.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:20 PM
BobO73
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I just installed an integrated LED tail light on my 99FXDL ($30 from amazon) and the running lights and brake light worked fine but the blinkers didn't blink so I needed to add a dual load equalizer ($20 amazon
Signal Dynamics Corporation Dual Load Equalizer 01008 Signal Dynamics Corporation Dual Load Equalizer 01008
). That one equalizer is only good for one set of LED directionals. Its possible yours will not be enough for your headlight as well. I don't know.

This one wasn't "Plug and Play" but it worked for me. You're supposed to splice the two wires into the harness under the seat but I didn't want to mess with OEM wiring. I just placed the equalizer unit under the seat area and ran two wires through the fender back to the light where the splicer's were jumped to the light itself (no messing with bike wiring, just the new light). So if I want to go back to OEM, easy and no mess.

Two wires ran from under the seat

Under the seat, little black/gray box is the equalizer, just ground the black and added quick connectors to the rear running wires.

LED Integrated light wiring. I had to splice the grounds that the OEM connector required and swap the wiring pins from the connectors (rather than cutting wires).

Hazards on

Off

Running light