Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taller bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 08:13 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Taller bars

I haven't been on my scoot much in the last few years but I finally got out and rode about 200 miles Thursday. I noticed my shoulders were really aching when I got back. I currently have bars from a Night Train on my ride, I always liked the way the drag bars looked. If I went with taller T-bars or something similar, would that be more comfortable? I've never ridden one with taller bars.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

You can do some mock up with 3/4 pvc and some fittings.
The usual method for picking bars is to have someone steady your bike upright while you are on it, close your eyes and put your hands out. Have your freind help get some measurements, thats about the most comfortable location for your hands. Go from there when picking something.
Handlebars are the most personal thing about a bike.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

That's a good idea Scarydog, thanks. I am assuming I'll have to get a longer clutch cable and brake cable? The clutch cable looks like it may possibly be long enough. I already extended the speedometer harness when I added the Night Train bars.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

If you have a GOOD FRIEND with taller bars MAYBE they'll let you ride their bike a few miles.
Other than that you're just guessing and probably pissing money away.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

Cables just depend on how much taller/wider. You may get away with the stock if you dont go too much, but be ready to have to change them. I prefer to measure after bars are on.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Before I went to fat minis, I bought some street bob take offs.. turned out to be about 100 bucks for bars and cables. Might try to find something like that... it's way better than just a mock-up... cause you get to ride it... doesn't matter what the bars/cables look like, if they have your hands in the right position.

Once I figured the mock up was what I wanted ( or darn close), then I dropped coin on the final parts.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I have 14" T-bars. I'm 5'8", they're super comfortable for me. 12"-14" T-bars or the Lucky Dave's bars seem pretty popular. My last setup was Biltwell Window bars (9") on a factory 2" riser, parallel with the forks. I was getting the same shoulder soreness.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I have arthritis in my left shoulder and low bars were causing me a few problems. Switching to 12" Lucky Daves San Diego Bars has helped a lot. I'm now comfortable enough to do full day riding ,and i'm not in a lot of pain the following day.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Sounds like the taller bars will make for a more comfortable ride then...14" is what I was thinking but I haven't done any measuring yet. Really I liked the setup Last Saint had on his scoot. I believe he had 14" West Coast T-bars. I also like the Roland Sands Vintage bars. I don't know anyone locally that has a similar setup so I may just have to do some measuring and order some or maybe try the PVC mock up. If I go with the T-bar setup I'll have to come up with a bracket for my speedometer mounting.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I have this bracket and it works perfect....

I have 14" T-bars on mine and they are by far the most comfortable bars I've ever run.

Quick Reply: Taller bars