Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:31 PM
JordanMorelli
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumption!?

Hey guys,

I have an 05 Dyna with a recently rebuilt top end and cams. Previous owner stepped it up to a 95 kit with cams, no current info on cam type also has SE heads.

Ive had the bike for 1.5 seasons. Found oil consumption to be high 1qt every 400-500 miles. Rear plug is black and sooty while front is greyish. Did a compression test dry @175 front and rear. Wet at 180 front and rear.

Sounds like valve seals to me but any other insight would be appreciated as to why I am consuming so much!

Thanks

Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

The 05 Dynas were included in a service bulletin just after they came out. The engine factory put the wrong valve guide seals in the top end. The heads have to come off for the repair, the rear cylinder sounds a valve guide seal problem, get both heads done at the same time just in case the front goes out in a few months.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 PM
JordanMorelli
5th Gear

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The 05 Dynas were included in a service bulletin just after they came out. The engine factory put the wrong valve guide seals in the top end. The heads have to come off for the repair, the rear cylinder sounds a valve guide seal problem, get both heads done at the same time just in case the front goes out in a few months.
Thanks! I know I have seen that notice before on this forum. Even if the bike has screaming eagle heads, not stock did the 05s have the same issue with the SE heads? I definitely plan on doing both front and rear. Thanks for the advice

Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Depending when the upgrade was done it's possible the wrong valve guide may have been in stock when the heads were assembled prior to installation. Oily and sooty plug would mean oil in the cylinder, you have also mentioned oil consumption being high to extreme.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,014 Likes on 590 Posts

Did the guy who did it know what he was doing? Sounds like he could have not set proper ring gap. There's no reason a fresh top end should burn oil like that.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM
JordanMorelli
5th Gear

So I pulled the heads and I’m replacing the valve seals, the exhaust valve on the rear cylinder was packed with carbon.

But it I also found that the front and rear cylinders had different seals. See my picture below. The black seals were in the front cylinder and the other were in the rear which is where the sooty plug was. ALSO, the heads are stamped 04 but my bike is an 05 is this an issue!!? They are screaming eagle heads.

Also any seal recommendations?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:42 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

175 dry vs. 180 wet tells us you're doing ok. Rings and/or valves won't likely change your oil consumption very much.
Have you considered it's the oil, and not your engine that's the problem?
Maybe try a different oil? Maybe a heavy-duty engine oil?
Something like Delo or Rotella?

Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM
JordanMorelli
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
175 dry vs. 180 wet tells us you're doing ok. Rings and/or valves won't likely change your oil consumption very much.
Have you considered it's the oil, and not your engine that's the problem?
Maybe try a different oil? Maybe a heavy-duty engine oil?
Something like Delo or Rotella?
I have tried multiple 20-50 syn and conventional. I tried SAE 50 and all had the same results. I thought the compression test was okay too, so it pointed me to the valve seals.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:24 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

James Gasket Viton seals
I have had good luck with https://www.ebay.com/str/bigbikegaskets and their oil seals (they will sell the vale seals separately, just message them)

Old 06-21-2019, 01:54 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

The old write up I have reported the new seals would have had an orange seal with a p/n of 18094-02A. Just checked with Ronnie's on line HD parts and they still show that mentioned part number.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption!?