Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HD winter project

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Night_Train01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HD winter project

I just bougt a winter project, also my first HD. The bike came complete except for a motor. The first pic is my tear down stage. The narrow extended forks are the first thing to go
[IMG][/IMG]
With the front end gone, I can now order a new set of wide glide trees and larger diameter forks. It also had a set of air shocks on the back, I already bougt a set of 11" conventional shocks.
[IMG][/IMG]
I have a little work to do to mount the new tanks, this frame is set up for a solid mount tank and not a rubber mount.
[IMG][/IMG]
I can see this project will take some work but I am really looking forward to it. I hope I don't ask too many stupid questions along the way?

Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First HD winter project

Fun!!! I love it!
Man keep the updates going.. This will be a great read!

Have you decided on an engine?

You can crate in a stock evo from H-D for about as inexpensive as any engine out there. That's how exile cycles does it.. Which is nice that the moco will just sell you an engine. That's one thing Victory will not do.. They fear custom builders. HD love's 'em.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Night_Train01
Tourer

I will keep the updates coming......you can all witness the trial and errors of someone putting a bike together with no HD experience. I have always wanted to own a HD and this is the only way I can afford to do it. I live in Ontario Canada and we will not see temps above 32° until March so I have lots of time.
Just the little things that any HD owner takes for granted, I must figure out for example, I bought the new gas tanks and discovered they don't bolt right onto my frame.....it took some searching and reading to find out I have rubber mounted tanks, I ordered some new rubbers and will now weld some mounting tabs onto my frame and cut off the original tabs. I have a lathe and a small milling machine in my garage and I prefer to make my own parts.
My plan is to go with a Harley crate motor, I figure I will be ready for that in Feb. or March.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll suggest two things if you don't already have them.
1. A parts manual.. Indespensible.
2. A service manual
You can pick up both from your HD dealer but that'll help out a lot for seeing diagrams of parts. Make sure to get the right year and model.

We'll all assume you have some mechanical experience. hehe [8D]
You're in the right place for info.. Not myself, so much but there's some real brains in here from some good mechanics (pro's and shadetree style) that can help you out a lot.

I for one will look forward to seeing it come together.
LOTS of pics!!
This is a great opportunity for folks to see some great dissassembly stuff and parts off the bike.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

It looks like you have your work cut out for yourself. Ive had a softail frame for 4yrs and keep saying im gonna start it but I never have except for th powder coat job good luck and keep lots of beer and advil on hand and give us weekly updates if you dont mind with pics alot of guys would love to see the progress.

Steve

Old 12-09-2005, 08:55 AM
VI66
Cruiser

Looks like plenty of work bro. Keep us...posted

Old 12-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Night_Train01
Tourer

I have built many custom metric bikes but always wanted to build a HD custom......I don't have the cash flow to build a true custom at this time.....my plan for this project is to build a super clean bike....
To make this project a little harder, I am not sure exactly what kind of bike I have, I only choose to join the Dyna forum because I have a battery on the side and it had a narrow front end.....the bike frame is a custom built made in 1987, it already has a raked neck...as far as the rest of the parts....well I am not sure. I call these bikes "bitsa" a bit of this and a bit of that
Here is a pic of my second bike, don't bash me because its a Honda......I pride myself on knowing I built every aspect of the bike from the 240 rear tire setup to the bars.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
LouieWideGlide
Cruiser

Even though it's a Honda, I think you did a hell of a job. I'm also a fan of the clean look, like Exiles' bikes. Good luck with your winter project. Your frame is a Dyna style frame because the shocks are mounted outside, as is the Sportsters. The Softtail has internal shocks. Good luck!!![sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-09-2005, 11:00 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

What did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking...and what do you have in mind for it?

Mac

Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Night_Train01
Tourer

Mac, I paid $3000 CND which is approx $2700 USD.
My plan is to put a wide gluide front end with a spoked wheel, I am lowering the rear end a little with 11" shocks. I like the style of the rear fender so it will stay, I bought new 2"extended tanks with a sloped bottom. The mounts are already there for the forward controls, it will have drag bars, all internal wiring including the throttle cable. It came with a set of short exhaust, I will have them ceramic coated black....it has a chain final drive, I am not sure if that is standard on the Dyna's but I will probably keep it. I do my own paint, it will be nothing fancy...I prefer the clean look of just a solid color. The wiring harness is complete, I will neaten it up and hide it. I am going to keep the rear end stock, I don't want to sink a lot of money into it with a 240+ tire.

Quick Reply: First HD winter project