Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Super Glide suitable for long distances?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Super Glide suitable for long distances?

The worse thing about the Dyna, and long rides (or any ride), is getting close to home and realizing the ride is almost over.
Sometimes the only thing close to a cure for that is detour before the house, and cruise another 50-100 miles before parking her.

I currently don't have a windsheild, and find it can be fatiguing to run on the interstate 75-95 mph for several hours. Find myself taking the aternates through towns, to get a brake from the wind, etc.

SuperGlide is a great allround bike.

DougJ

Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: XKROME

my wife and i did 1500 miles to visit redwoods...

i have Mustang vintage wide seats front and rear, forward controls and detachable windshield. i hate the shield and only use it when I'm not sure of the weather.
I second that on the windshield. I only put mine on when it's cold out. I like the visibility that riding naked gives. (Not me, the bike.) Of course, Iwear goggles over my glasses, but it's a good trade off.

Today's ride was seven hours, with two hours out for a leisurely lunch. The Dyna was fine, even with my stock seat.And likeDoug, my only problem came at the end of the ride when I had to go home.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my lowrider on a 2300 mile ride, as long as you have a comfortable seat you will be just fine.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I canride my Low Rider bagged up with awindshieldand a Mustang seat for 8-11 hours without fatigue. I'm 62 and ride solo. You should have no trouble with the SG.
Seat comfort is paramount. Leg comfort is next - I prefer mid controls and had highway pegs with stirrups until now when I added the Lindby engine guard with built-in foot rests on the top andput thepegs on the side. This gives me 3 places to switch my leg position instead of 2. The windshield keeps you from being pounded at freeway speeds, a little dryer when it rains and collects a lot of bugs that would otherwise become part of your riding apparel.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:11 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

it will go any where you want to take it. box stock or you can add some better comfort. but you do have to stop for gas.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as you are comfortadle on the bike no problem but everyone is different I know guys who take 2 up trips on s/g of 1000 miles and no problem and other giys who say they have cramps after 50 miles .
I prsonally have no problem alone 2 up gets a little tight after a few hours. But I would not trade my glide for anything else I love the handiling and rubber mounted motor feels like aHarley not a mini van

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM
stell55chevy
Road Master

my girl and I took a 4700 mile 3 weekon my 06' Super Glide last summer and it was a blast. we packed up some good sized nylon saddle bags and biggest T-bag on the market. Other than the bags,I have a sundownerseat and detachable sissybar for long trips. it is a good set up because you can take it all off in 2 minutes and put the solo seat back on for round town bar hopping. I also had to instal forward controls. I am 6ft. and 250 lbs. so the forwards make a huge difference. By far the Sundowner is the most comfortable seat out there if you are carrying a passenger. a must have for the Super Glide road trip! I highly reccomend the Super Glide for any kind of riding you do. Best bang for your buck by far! and no, the speedometer mount does not bother me at all!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM
bikecop40
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I did was switch from Syn3 to Amsoil and went with their gear lube in the tranny (it quieted down the 5th gear noise,) to get on with it .......headed out to Vegas from Michigan 4 long days I have the foot pegs with the engine guard. I was good for about 500 miles per day , stopped every 180 200 miles for fuel and a stretch. Just got back from a 800 mile trip this weekend the weather in Michigan was great. Taking 5 weeks off in 08 for a coast to coast trip
To answer your question; yes in my opinion the Dyna will hold up to long distant riding, you just need to find your comfort zone for the long haul
just my .02 worth
D/C

Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer

My 2000 Wide Glide with 14" apes, windshield (only for long trips) and a Mustang Classic seat served me well on an 8 day, 4,000 mile Labor Day trip (including the twisties on Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway). Go for it man! You can't go wrong with a Dyna. I would suggest forward controls or highway pegs. Mine has forward controls stock and I make long trips with no other place to put my feet. Stop every 150 or 180 miles for fuel and you should be fine.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

Yes. I have had a fun and comfortable time, on long trips.

Quick Reply: Is Super Glide suitable for long distances?