Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running to lean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 PM
lilrooster76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running to lean?

I'm sure someone has aske aout this before but i so tired from work i am not gonna look it up....
I'm thinking that my bike may be running to lean, I had installed a set of RUSH 2" slip on's and i loved the way hey sounded, problem ws i started getting these really nasty discolorations and it looked like the crome was crackling. The dealer replaced them twice for this and finaly i made them do a refund on them. They kpt doing it afte about 200 miles. Now i had put prolly 3000 miles on the stocks and they was just fine so i thought it was prolly the rush pipes tha was junk...well I have put about 2000 miles on the stock again and now they are starting to turn this brownish color. A friend said its prolly from it running to lean. Anyone out there had this problem? Will he Stage 1 download fix this? I still am running stock on the breather but someone told me the download was the way to fix it. Any help would be appreciated!! Its a 2007 FXDC by the way

Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer
Default RE: running to lean?

Any time you make a performance mod to an FI bike you need to remap.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
saltybull
Cruiser

My Experience so far is I bought RUSH 1.75 slip-ons and had them on for about 2000 miles. I had a lot of decal popping the whole time. After 1500 miles I noticed it was just running a little ruff and checked the plugs and they were very white in color A sign of running lean. I since have put the stock pipes back on until I can afford a Power Commander III and a V&H Air intake system. EFI Harleys run lean at stock. You add larger pipes with less back pressure despite not changing the air intake and it will run leaner. RUSH and other after market slip-on makers state you don’t need a remap or a fuel management computer with some of their sip-ons I decided not to risk it anymore. Running lean all the time will damage the engine in time! Instead of the Stage 1 map from HD I am going to buy a Power Commander from Fuel Moto. The PCIII is $250 and you can adjust to your needs. The Stage 1 download I hear is about $125.00 from the stealer and you can’t adjust depending on your future needs! My vote $250 is a bargain investment for a $15K bike!!! My 2 cents!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wkdavistx

Any time you make a performance mod to an FI bike you need to remap.
True, but slip-ons alone are not performance mods, a slip-on will not change intake so no remap needed. I'd look at your spark plugs, get out your owners manual it should have pictures of the spark plugs and indicate if lean. Don't idle for long, just take a good ride,and shut her off right when you get home, then pull the plugs and inspect.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

Less back pressure results in a hotter exhaust, since less exhaust gases are left for the next combustion cycle. Cars used to use an Item called an EGR, to control Combustion and exhaust temps.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 PM
saltybull
Cruiser

I agree with Labfreak, with RUSH slip-ons, anything larger than the 2.0 baffles does require a fuel management system despite not changing the intake air flow per Epiflex the RUSH manufacture. Changing the slip-ons can change the engine’s air mechanics and cause damage even if they are just slip-ons. The reason is such loss in back pressure effects the pistons, rings and the intake pressure. Damn EFI sensors!!!

I agree, check your plugs and if they are white you will know what is going on with your bike. If you up your gas to the highest octane level it will help burn the fuel more quickly in the piston, resulting in less fuel to reignite in the exhaust in the next compression cycle and might help with the discoloring of your chrome.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your plugs bro ! Anytime you think you might be running too lean, let her cool off, and pull the plugs and have a good look at them....If they are white, you are NOT alright.. A little tan, you are good to go... etc Good luck !

Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

your bike comes from the factory pretty lean. i would'nt think just slip on's would make that much differnce.but like everybody has said check your plugs .or being it's new i would take to the shop and find out what's up. cause it really dont sound right.i have known alot of people who has changed just slip on's with no problems .and yes they had e.f.i.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 AM
lilrooster76
Tourer

well thats all great advice....one more question...what the heck do i do if it is running lean????

Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 07's run leaner than the 06's... "Fuel management".. Exhaust of your choice, A/C of your choice, SERT, Find a good reliable Tuner, Tune It..

Quick Reply: running to lean?