Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Livi1215
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Paint

Wondering if anyone has done graphics to there existing paint,or if your better off buying extra metal. I would like to add something butt it seems really expensive,would love to add a pinup gal some place on my bike to match my tat on my arm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43000/4D0082C0CB59419AA1818F4D5FDFE9F5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Custom Paint

Nice looking scoot.

The advantage to buying new tins would be that you'd be without your ride for less time not waiting for paint to be done. Also, you'd have your original set if/when you ever sell or trade the bike. Face it, whose going to want your tat pinup match on their bike when you go to get rid of it? The advantage of getting your stock tins painted is that it will cost you less money.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with 2007fxdc. Mostly, so I won't be without the scooter while getting the tin painted. You know how long a good paint job can take, right? I got another set of tins, well no rear fender yet,and am now waiting for the 'perfect' paint scheme to pop into my head. Check eBay, you can usually find what you'll need.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
streetbobrob
Intermediate

I had my graphics painted on my factory vivid black. They just sandoff the factory clear coat, do the graphics, lay down 2 coats of clear, pin stripe, and do 2 more coats of clear. It took my painter 2 months to do it, and I had to take appart and reassemble the bike myself.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: streetbobrob

I had my graphics painted on my factory vivid black. They just sandoff the factory clear coat, do the graphics, lay down 2 coats of clear, pin stripe, and do 2 more coats of clear. It took my painter 2 months to do it, and I had to take appart and reassemble the bike myself.

Street that looks great. If you don't mind me asking whats something like that run? That would be a good winter project. Smiley

Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Livi1215

Wondering if anyone has done graphics to there existing paint,or if your better off buying extra metal. I would like to add something butt it seems really expensive,would love to add a pinup gal some place on my bike to match my tat on my arm.

I had my tins painted. Took the painter 3 days to do the job and it's world class. Took 5 days total from tear down to reassembly. I find it hard to believe someone CAN'T be without their bike for 5 days.

If you're going to do it, do it right. Don't put stickers or vinyl graphics on and be a cheeseball.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Ianltd
Advanced

Hi Livi1215,
Saw your post and thought I'd add my bit!!
I have recently bought a paint set for my W.G from a guy in New Madison OH. called Smitty over eBay - I live in the U.K.
The job is amazing and so is the price.......I bought full tins in a custom ghost flame pattern (similar to PowerCobra98's) with candy red marbleize and gold dust added, - it's awesome!!
The whole lot was $995.00 and S & H to the U.K was a very reasonable $150.00 with no trade-in.....got it in a week!
He will also do one-off's or pretty much anything you want.

I don't know how to post links, but if you are interested and someone here tells me how to post a link, I will do my best to find him for you!!
Hope this is of some use,
Kind regards,
Ian

Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

ORIGINAL: Livi1215

I had my tins painted. Took the painter 3 days to do the job and it's world class. Took 5 days total from tear down to reassembly. I find it hard to believe someone CAN'T be without their bike for 5 days.

If you're going to do it, do it right. Don't put stickers or vinyl graphics on and be a cheeseball.
I guess the head cheeseball would be me with my magnetic chrome flames. Damn I never knew there were so many biker-don'ts until I started coming here. First, off with the stickers, then the reflectors, and now my flames. Am I missing something else obvious?

By the way, I don't think 5 days is too long but not everyone will find someone to start and finish a paint job in 3 days - especially a good quality one. And there's still that issue of someone not wanting your favorite tatt pasted on the side of their tank when you go to sellthe bike.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Am I missing something else obvious?

By the way, I don't think 5 days is too long but not everyone will find someone to start and finish a paint job in 3 days - especially a good quality one. And there's still that issue of someone not wanting your favorite tatt pasted on the side of their tank when you go to sellthe bike.
Nope, other than that everything's way cool. [8D]

True enough on the start and finish to a paint job. I got lucky, the guy didn't have any other work in the shop so I got full attention from the moment the tins were dropped off by UPS. I certainly didn't expect it that fast but people need to be reasonable and assume that if you want something done then you have to accept the cause and effect being patience while something kick @$$ is getting done for the bike.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Livi1215
Tourer

Thanks guys. Real nice rides. The extra tin your right will come in handy,hell black denim is popular I could probably do that in the garage as a practice run. I got the air compressor just need some more tools and I think it would be pretty easy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43000/E11803C4DEAC41C294F0121FE43B2ED9.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Custom Paint