Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guards/Crash Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM
crazeehorse
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Guards/Crash Bars

What is everyones opinion on engine guards/crash bars? I was totally against them until this past Saturday when a fool ran a stop sign and caused me to dump my 2 week old WG. I did make out good though because I got the bike totally stopped and dropped it as gingerly as possible on the right side. Only damage was the hand brake, right mirror, and my mufflers, tank and engine don't even have a scratch on em. After I got all the new parts on the bike Sunday I noticed if I had dumped it on the left side I would have messed the tank and primary up and lord knows what on the back. The engine guard for my 07 WG looks very ugly to me but I'm considering one now.. any thoughts?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine Guards/Crash Bars

I've installed "crash bars" on every Harley that I have owned since I started riding back in the '60's.
Function over form for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16850/C2C20AEC110F41719DFFF22F0280994A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Although it's largely a matter of personal taste, I think they're great and highly recommend them. I had one on my Sportster and it savedher from some pretty good scrapes and breaksat least 3 times. It was one of the first purchases that I made for my FXDC.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I'm considering one of the Lindby bars for my new ride - either the Linbar or the Multibar - not sure yet. Anyone have any experience with these two on the newer Dyna's? Any potential to scrape either of these?

Mark

Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

Not real thrilled with the look. Have them front and rear on my Heritage. Fronts provide a place to mount footpegs (dog killers). Rears provide a place to mount a leather drink holder. Both a pluses but the protection is the real plus that outweighs the loss of look IMHO. Have saved my paint a couple of times on stand still andlow speed drops and once last month in a 35-40 MPH crash avoiding a rider that flipped his sportster in front of me. Sand and wet grass will get you every time.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a set on my Wide Glide. I don't care much for the look, but like a helmet, I like the protection. Dress 'em up with some fog lamps, install some highway pegs and enjoy the ride! Next time some idiot forces a low-speed or dead stop drop, you'll be glad you did.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my bike used ('05 Super Glide w/ 700 whopping miles), and the previous owner had put on a crash bar. I was planning on removing it, but instead I mounted highway pegs on it which work perfectly with my footboards (you could order boards on an '05 FXD). I dropped it (lightly) doing some slow speed practice and didn't hurt a thing other than a scrape on the bottom of the barthat you can't see. Even though I still like the looks better without the bar, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
SJRACER
Advanced

I have a 2007 Wide Glide as well. I picked it up on 7 Aug 2007. Just broke 3650 miles today! Lovin' it! Anyway I have the crash bars installed on mine. Everything my pic shows was added to it before I picked it up. I dont mind the look and it added a place to mount some highway bars. Anyway I think it is a small price to pay for such protection. In the event of a drop, crash bar is easy to replace. Eng...well not so much.

Just my 2 Cents.

Steve

[IMG]local://upfiles/39525/715A773AFC0D4987AA0023E510D1A9C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39525/7A6F6308236B4B8E92CD9266117269B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never have been a big fan but....
better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

Put a set on the G/F (MaryBit) '06 SG this weekend along with a bunch of other bling, bling. She said she is more comfortable with the added security. Works for me.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Dombow77
Tourer

I like the look, and it only takes one drop to pay for its self. It is also another place to put your feet.

Quick Reply: Engine Guards/Crash Bars