Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Graduate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire balancing

When the dealer mounts a new tire do they balance it. How is this done? Never have seen a wheel weight. Where are they?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tire balancing

ORIGINAL: Graduate

When the dealer mounts a new tire do they balance it. How is this done? Never have seen a wheel weight. Where are they?
What kind of wheels do you have? If you have laced wire wheels, look closely at the spokes - that's where you'll find the weights. Yes, of course they balance them.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, the weights will be on the spokes, right up against the rim. If you have cast wheels, they are usually a stick-on weight.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody here ever tried those ceramic beads in the tire?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have cast wheels, sometimes the weights fly off or wash off. It's worth getting them balanced. If you're running unbalanced, you'll notice the ride smooths out dramatically after the wheels have been balanced. If you are under warantee, tell the dealer your weights fell of and they'll probably balance them for free.When you buy tires, you can usually get the balance thrown in. If you just ride in and ask the shop to balance them, it'll cost ya.

How's it done? Two choices: static or dynamic. Static balance is done by putting the wheel on a spud, giving it a spin and seeing where it stops. Dynamic balance is done by putting the wheel in a machine that will spin it up to speed and determine how to counteract the wobble.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been riding for nearly 20 years on hand mounted tires and no balancing. I just line the sidewall dot up with the valve stem. My tires have a good life and my bikes ride just as smooth as the next guys........Yes, I have something to compare it to.....I ride a FLHPI at work with shop mounted and balanced tires on it. I can't tell any difference in it and my personal bikes' rides.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Roadrocket
Cruiser

I have the Dynabeads in all 3 of our bikes. All are very smooth. But they were before also! Found 1 1/2 oz of wheel wts in my drive. Never could determine which bike they came from. The Dyna beads are fairly cheap to I added them to all the bikes. So far so good!

RR

Old 11-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Graduate
Cruiser

Went home and checked my spoked rims on my 07 FXDC and found no wheel weights. The are the OEM tires. Must be they didn't need them. I asked this because I thought I would change the back tire myself.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had stick on weights on my FXD from factory. Dealer took them off, last tire change.
Typically, if the dot is lined up you don't need weights on a mag. Spoke wheels can be trued in.

DougJ

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
gmikesell
Advanced

I got new rubber mounted last week (metzler 880's) on my '07 FLHX. The stock tire I wore down rode smooth. Since we were changing the tires ourselves, we pulled the weights and used the recommended pack (2 oz) of Dynabeads.

Now, I feel a slight vibration when I approach 70mph and more pronounced at 80mph. Nothing that affects handling but I'm a little concerned. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm suspicious of the Dynabeads but maybe it could be the belt tension needs to be tighter? Faulty tire?

Just curious what others might suspect the culprit could be?

Quick Reply: Tire balancing