Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ carbon canister

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ carbon canister

Hello, I recently purchased an 06 street bob that has an ugly carbon canister hanging off the front of the frame. Was told it would be no big deal to remove it (said the guy that I was handing the check too) and now I need to know what needs to be done. I am sure it is easy I just don't want to screw something up. The bike is fuel injected. I can get pictures tomorrow if needed. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help w/ carbon canister

Must be a Kaliforny bikeDon't know.

DougJ

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master

dont throw it away incase we ever need to smog our bikes man

Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Does putting new pipes, a/c and fuel mgmt system bypass the cannister?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser

I bought it in PA and could not ever remember seeing one on a bike before and figured maybe something with the FI but when I got the title later it stated previuos state as CO so i was wondering if they had any stange emmission stadards or if maybe was a California emissions model. But it is COLD in PA and global warming doesn't seem that bad so I want to rip it off.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: whannigan1

Hello, I recently purchased an 06 street bob that has an ugly carbon canister hanging off the front of the frame. Was told it would be no big deal to remove it (said the guy that I was handing the check too) and now I need to know what needs to be done. I am sure it is easy I just don't want to screw something up. The bike is fuel injected
The bike I bought was a California bike and came with the canister. Naturally, that thing had to go. It is a rather simple process, but it also depends how **** you are.

There are 3 hoses. The biggest diameter hose is the fresh air intake. The 2 other hoses go from the tank vent to the canister, and from the canister to the EFI. The trickiest part is what to do with the gas tank vent/overflow line. I used the existing canister plumbing and ran mine under the tank (along the frame),under the seat, anddownin front of therear tire.

You also have to put a rubber cap on the EFI intake when you take the canister hose off of it. I got mine from the dealer and it was only a couple of bucks.

Check out the following instructions. They educated me before I started digging in and effing things up...

Removing the vapor canister: the single hose on the right side of the bike from the vapor canister goes up under the tank and doesn't connect to anything it is just a breather hose you can just pull it out.

On the left side of the bike you have two hose's coming off of the canister. The canister is labeled carb / tank, disconnect the tank hose and follow it up the frame to a little vapor valve, remove hose from the bottom of this little vapor valve and remove the hose. This is now your 49 state tank vent, you can also get the 49 state vent hose that connects to the vapor valve and runs up under the tank, it is in the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) item 13 on page 90 p/n 27296-04 and a retaining clip item 7 p/n 10113.

Disconnect the carb hose from the vapor canister, this line goes up the frame and under the tank to a connection behind the top left side of the air cleaner, it connects to the intake manifold, disconnect and put a cap on the port of the intake. (In the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) on page 20 they list a cap plug item 21 p/n 90383-98) This hose is difficult to remove, I took off the rubber hose from the plastic tube by the intake and pulled the hose out from the front of the tank and broke off a clip that supports a harness that comes out of the bottom of the tank, but I was able to ty-wrap that harness to another harness under the tank near the frame. If you cut the plastic tube end off that has the ridge, it will not hang up on anything and it will just slide out.

The vapor canister bracket has a clip that you depress and then the canister can slide off the bracket. Loosen the two allen head bolts that hold the bracket on to the frame, remove top bolt then rotate bracket and put the bolt back in and tighten it down, then remove lower bolt and bracket, reinstall lower bolt and tighten it down.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM
darkdyna06
Tourer

All the can does is filter the vapors coming from the gas tank vent through charcoal and route them into the intake manifold. I took mine off shortly after I got the bike. It does not hurt performance, but it kinda looks funny down there. The Tank vent hose (hard plastic) has a check valve in it, so all you need to do is remove the can, and plug the vaccum fitting on top of the throttle body.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21800/985B2B009A0149D994A03BA0FBAF2E49.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser

Baeseman1,

Thank you sooo much!!

Bill

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser

Thanks Darkdyna06

Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 PM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

piece of cake to remove the POS. take canister off (keep just in case - resale, smog). you cna plug both hoses and be done or find the hose that vents to atmosphere (it runs from can back up to underneath fuel tank), remove it and plug the other. i plugged with a bolt that i painted black - you'd never know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help w/ carbon canister