Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The FXDL Idiot Light relocation part

Old 02-10-2008, 05:53 AM
jwidell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The FXDL Idiot Light relocation part

Thanks, Halfbuck.

I am assuming that the two screwson the bracketmount to where the stock visor is presently mounted. I look forward to seeing pictures after you have completed your project.

Ride Easy!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM
sfteam85
4th Gear
Default light cluster relocation

For the Dyna with the light cluster in the eyebrow type light visor:

The 2006 has the cluster embedded in the H'bar clamp. It's that simple. I don't know whether the actual cluster works in the clamp window but I know the same shaped cluster is in the 2006 H'bar. I think the part number is 59786-06. On this clamp, you must have the risers that screw in even, not the offset V-shape. I used 6" fat risers off of a De Luxe. Harley sells them for $39.95 at that part number.

It's going to look great on my '04 FXDLI with my wide glide front end and tank. It bolts up perfect and the dash fits too!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM
jcmusic
Tourer

Originally Posted by sfteam85
For the Dyna with the light cluster in the eyebrow type light visor:

The 2006 has the cluster embedded in the H'bar clamp. It's that simple. I don't know whether the actual cluster works in the clamp window but I know the same shaped cluster is in the 2006 H'bar. I think the part number is 59786-06. On this clamp, you must have the risers that screw in even, not the offset V-shape. I used 6" fat risers off of a De Luxe. Harley sells them for $39.95 at that part number.

It's going to look great on my '04 FXDLI with my wide glide front end and tank. It bolts up perfect and the dash fits too!
How about some pic's of what you done?

jay

Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
sfteam85
4th Gear
Default Pics to follow

Tins are at the paint shop now. Front end is in my van. Can't do anything right now because I had rotator cuff surgery this past Thursday. Two torn tendons were repaired, Very painful just to type this message.

Soon,

sfteam85

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
sfteam85
4th Gear
Default Front End Convdersion

I'll share what I've learned as I learn it. Every time I learn one thing, I learn something else. The way that translates is everytime I buy something to solve on problem, I have to buy something else.

Last year I got a hair up my a**. I've never had a wide glide front end and although I like the way my Dyna's sport front end performs, there's no substitute for the FAT FRONT look.

I love my low rider and I love the stock, low front with the bigger stock rake and I love the FXR type suspension and handling of the front and the rear shocks. It's great for my short legs, too.

I began a project. I did some research and found that the Dyna Wide Glide and Low Rider frames were identical. Same frame, same rake, everything. I decided to build a hybrid, a Low-Fat Dyna Glide. That meant a wide front end, too.

I got the tins for an '04 FXDWG, except the rear bobtail fender. Not my style. So, I've had the tins for the conversion. Had some budgetary set backs so they've sat for seven months. I found that the standard Dyna, 19" wheel doesn't work with wide glide front ends. Then, I found out that the '04 and '05 Dynas have a 1" axel. Damn! If it's not one thing it's another." axel set up. Then, I needed to get a wheel that fit the axel off a 2004 Sportster. I'm biulding this so I can just move the front end and the tins all at once, so I can ride right up to the day I change them.

I recently had to face reality and changed directions, temporarilly on the paint job. I got a dent in the top of my tank from my handle bars. Dumb story. So, I'm going with black, nothing but black until I can afford the custom job I want. Can't tell you what it is because for now, the idea is original.

What I want to impart, while I'm still putting it together is that I have found the best possible solution for relocating the light cluster from the visor on the Dyna. It is simple. Use the Handle Bar Clamp from a 2006 FXDL, P/N 59786-06. It fits the light cluster perfectly and actually looks more like it belongs there than in the visor. It fits and it works. It's a great fix for 39.95 from HD. I got my OEM part for $25.00, including shipping.

I'll follow up with pics and what I used to build the front end.

Carlos
sfteam85

Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 PM
timberwolfz28
Road Master

Must be I'm the only one who just unplugged them from under the dash and set them on the shelf when I got ride of the eyebrow. I can see my front signals to know whether or not they are blinking, so there's 2 of the 5 lights I didn't need. never had a neutral light on any dirtbike I rode from the time I was 7 until I got on a road bike, no need for one now.. so there's the third of 5 gone. I can tell at night if my high beams are on or not without the little blue light, so there's number 4 off the list.

Only thing left is the oil pressure light... I could probably stand to have that back on there, but really, just like the neutral light, I got by for a long time without one...

Cleaned it right up and didn't have to relocate ANYTHING

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 AM
jcmusic
Tourer

Originally Posted by timberwolfz28
Must be I'm the only one who just unplugged them from under the dash and set them on the shelf when I got ride of the eyebrow. I can see my front signals to know whether or not they are blinking, so there's 2 of the 5 lights I didn't need. never had a neutral light on any dirtbike I rode from the time I was 7 until I got on a road bike, no need for one now.. so there's the third of 5 gone. I can tell at night if my high beams are on or not without the little blue light, so there's number 4 off the list.

Only thing left is the oil pressure light... I could probably stand to have that back on there, but really, just like the neutral light, I got by for a long time without one...

Cleaned it right up and didn't have to relocate ANYTHING
What size is your headlight? Where did you get it? How much?

Jay

Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 AM
timberwolfz28
Road Master

Originally Posted by jcmusic
What size is your headlight? Where did you get it? How much?

Jay
Got it on ebay. it's a tribar type. Seems like it was somewhere in the $69-$99 range. Chrome is beautiful and it puts out plenty of light. It's a two wire setup, so when replacing the factory 3 wire headlight you don't use the ground wire (the new one is body grounded)

Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM
sfteam85
4th Gear
Default That's a great look!

It looks like a 2003. Is it? I noticed a couple of things on the silver and black that looks like a 100th Anniversary. The first is that it looks long and has a decided aftermarket look. No problem. I'm just trying to preserve what I can to give mine the aesthetic and performance advantages that it was meant to have.

One is the stock wheels. I will eventually chrome them but for now, I have the 13 spoke 19" and 16" wheels to keep it low and to avoid the wobble problems associated with the 21" production tires. It' looks like a 21" on this bike. I didn't change the rake and in using a stock FXST front end, the same as the FXDWG, except the 3/4" axle which was used prior to 2004.

It looks like you're using aftermarket wheels and you're short at least one rotor on the front wheel. It also appears you don't have a wide glide front fender. You can get spacers that will allow you to use stock, narrow glide front fenders. You can get them for as little as $30.00-$70.00 so your fender doesn't sit right on the tire.

I tried to put pics on my garage but they didn't take.

Anyway love the intake with the big radius pipes and the pull back. That really speaks to what I'm looking for. Looks like you're on the right track. As far as head lights, I'm using a new take off from an FXDWG. It has that decidedly stock look but I'm OK with it. I'd love to get a Kodlin blue mini rectangle or a purple hooter. Just don't have $500.00 for them. My light will go back together the way it was designed. I think I could actually use the low rider's headlamp bucket if I wanted.

Anyway, I'll go into the custom axle and spacer kit for the narrow glide wheel fitment on the wide glide front end. I'll tell you where I got it. I think it was $173.00 from Custom Cycle Engineering, including shipping.

More to follow,

Carlos
sfteam85

Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i moved mine to the dash panel. its a bit of work but i think it was worth it.

The following users liked this post:
cdzdyna (05-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The FXDL Idiot Light relocation part