Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOME SHOCK SWAPPING ADVISE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SOME SHOCK SWAPPING ADVISE?

OK GUYS IM PRETTY GOOD AT WRENCHING AND CHANGING THE STOCK SHOCKS TO MY NEW PROGRESSIVE'S IS AND LOOKS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD, BUT DO ANY OF YOU THAT HAVE DONE THIS HAVE ANY TIPS TO MAKE THIS EASIER THAN AGGREVATING? SOME OF YOU KNOW I ONLY HAVE ONE GOOD ARM AT THE MOMENT BUT THAT WONT STOP ME. IMTHINKIN BOTTOM BOLTS SHOULD COME OUT FIRST. AM I RIGHT? AND YES I HAVE A MAUAL BUT I THOUGHT ID JUST ASK HERE....

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SOME SHOCK SWAPPING ADVISE?

Make sure you have something under the rear wheel so the swing arm doesn't fall when you take both shock bolts off at the same time....don't ask me how I know this...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Loosen the upper bolts first, then remove the bottom ones. I assume the bike will be on a lift - right? If you have rear pegs, make sure they won't hit your pipes or anything when you let the swingarm down before you remove those bolts. When I dropped my rear wheel to install my pulley cover, I removed the right side peg mount first.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

just undo two bolts put on the new shocks... it is pretty easy... i did mine with my bike lifted and that is what i would sugest...
be sure you have the right size star ratchet, a breaker bar would make it a bit easier, crack them all loose a bit then just pull them out. i did my swap in about 5 min. but i had 2 good arms... man working on your bike you may want an extra set of hands. Even if you have your Girl help you out... that would be huge!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
trampsinger
Tourer

Ok I just did mine and heres the easiest way I know.
I didn't put anything under the bike. I removed the left side and since the new shock is shorter it went right on. When I tool tje right side off, the bike dropped a bit and I took a regular floor jack for a car and jacked the bike up where the back moved up an inch. I don't mean an inch off the ground I mean an inch of suspension travel.It was just barely one pump or so. Didn't require the motorcyle jack or any help. I wouldn't advise taking both off at the same time.
Then you would need to have the bike completely suspended on a motorcycle jack.
Mike

Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
strich
Tourer

I just put on 440s two weeks ago and here's how i did it.

I had my wife helping me out, but we took the right shock off first, leaving the left one fully intact. put on the right bottom first and while i lifted the back fender, she slipped the bolt in the top hole. Tighten up.

Rinse and repeat for left side.

It didn't require a lift and i hardly had to lift the fender for her to push the top bolt in. And i've got a really bad back, so i was concerned about lifting. But no problems at all. It actually took more time to pull the top bolt out, because it's so long and requires so much to just torque it out. Overall, it took 20 minutes to put both 440s on.

Find someone to give you help and it'll be a piece of cake.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

man its not hard but with one good arm no offense I would get somebody to help or aggrevation will be unavoidable

Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM
trampsinger
Tourer

I disagree. It literally took me about 8 min to change them.
It's ridiculous easy if you do it like I outlined. Haveing someone else there would have wasted one good beer.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I HAVE ALL THE TOOLS AND A MOTORCYCLE JACK TO DO THIS SO ALL I NEED IS SOME HELP THAN...LOL THANX GUYS

Old 03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
trampsinger
Tourer

Hmm, pardon me for being the dumbass. I must not know what I'm talking about. I'm glad somebody pointed it out.

Quick Reply: SOME SHOCK SWAPPING ADVISE?