Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WG Bobtail Fender Change Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Islander
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WG Bobtail Fender Change Complete

For those interested in changing out the rear bobtail fender on the WG (mine is an '04) for the standard Dyna fender, I've completed the swap.

In performing the change there are a couple of ancillary issues you'll have to deal with (e.g. extra things to buy)...Thanks, HD. =)

1. The Dyna and WG use the same frame as far as the rear end is concerned, so the Dyna fender lines up with all existing frame mounting holes.

2. The chrome fender supports will have to be changed since the radius of the Dyna fender falls off the back where the bobtail extends outward off the back. This causes the bobtail fender supports to be about 2.5" longer than the Dyna fender supports.

3. If you want to keep the WG back rest you have to replace the WG rigid side plates w/ the Dyna rigid side plates, since the WG sideplates are also about 2.5" too long.

4. You can use the WG 2-up seat, but the rear mounting tab on the seat is about 1" further back than the hole pre-drilled in the Dyna fender. I simply drilled a new hole in the fender to accept the 2-Up seat. Also, the Dyna rigid side plates mount a little bit forward of the WG rigid side plates. They bind slightly against the rear of the WG seat, but not enough to damage the seat. It does, however, make seat removal/replacement tight, but not impossible.

5. You'll need to order the Dyna tailight mounting frame kit, but not a new tailight assy. The WG tailight simply flips over to fit the Dyna mount.

6. You'll also need a new rear wiring harness conduit kit to remount the rear wiring harness in the fender well, away from possible contact with the rotating tire. There is also a wiring restraint that mounts under the fender on the license plate bracket (which you'll also have to buy!)

7. I also changed out the rear signal sockets from single filament to dual filament (using the same sockets and bulbs from the front signals. Pulled the tailight signal off an open pin above the tailight wiring plup on the circuit board to put running light functionality on the rear signals.

Here's a pic of the finished job. Total PARTS cost not counting paint (the fender ships from HD in black primer)....$544. I did my own paint and labor.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:43 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WG Bobtail Fender Change Complete

Looks good. I must say, I've never even thought of doing that as the bobtail is sort of a trademark of the WG. With that said, everyone has their opinions on what looks good. I'd love to see a pic of the entire bike with the change..if you have one. I might actually be pleasantly surprised by the look.

Thanks for the info. This kind of post is the reason why this board is so great!

Todd

Old 02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Islander
Tourer

Here's a thumb linked to a bigger pic....

Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 AM
snowyhog
Cruiser

Yes , i commented also in an earlier post about this , and on looking at your pics !!! well done your bike looks very nice .
What seat is that ??

Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Looks great, I like it.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Wide Glide 05
Tourer

Looks good! Was wondering what it would look like. I will keep mine like it is for awhile, after all the stuff I have done on mine while it has been cold and snowy here, I am worn out....

Old 02-20-2006, 12:16 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I had always wanted to get a wide glide but never cared for the rear fender. That's how I ended up getting a 2001 FXD Super Glide. I figured it would have cost more than what you have into it or I might have considered doing that.
Nice job and thanks for the info.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4468/8D440E1A638944AD9B402A89683E95FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2006, 02:55 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Islander

Here's a thumb linked to a bigger pic....

I really like it alot. This was a surprise for me!

Todd

Old 02-21-2006, 01:37 AM
hd2000
Tourer

What do you plan on doing with the bobtail fender? Would u be willing to sell it.