Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Ainokea
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderheader or not?

I ride an 06 low rider and need to change my stock vacum cleaner pipes. I know there are numerous threads about pipes, including thunderheaders.

I am only looking at 2-1's, but just want to know what are the performance differences between thunderheader and other oft use pipes like V&H ProPipes. I am not too interested in how deep the rumble is and all that because anything is better than stock, right.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 PM
arodgers
Advanced
Default RE: Thunderheader or not?

I don't have much for you other than I love mine. The sound, the look, the performance... everything is perfect.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ran a thunderheader on my last 3 bikes. I'm definitely sold on em. Many lay claim to being the top performing 2into1. But, Thunderheader has remained in the top few year after year while many of the new fangled exhausts have fallen by the wayside. Many say they're ugly, overpriced, outdated...whatever!! Nothing sounds or performs like a TH. AND, they look amazing on Dynas especially!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Ainokea
Intermediate

do they out perform V&H, Bubb, Kerker? They are priced higher, but evrything I hear is that they are "the best". By how much though. How much more will a TH perform compared to V&H?????

Any thoughts or stats??

Thanks...

Never pass a bathroom, waste a hardon or trust a fart.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Thunderheader all the way. I had one on my bagger, it sounded and performed great. Still have it, and someday I'll put it back on. But I took it off 2 yrs ago, I couldn't take the thunder on long trips anymore. But when the day comes that my bagger gets reduced to local rides only, the Thunderheader goes back on.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 AM
BaggerRod
5th Gear

I have a V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe on my Wide Glide and I can honestly say, I will never own another bike without a 2 into 1. The sound is deep and at idle sounds pretty wicked to me. At speed it doesnt kill ya, sound dies down alot but, if you crack on it you will be heard. From about 1800 to 3000 it pulls like a freight train. Not taking away from the Thunderheader , this pipe was on my bike when I bought it. I Love it!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Ainokea
Intermediate

Why did you take off the TH? What was the problem on long trips?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 bob has the following mods Thunderheader,SE intake,SERT it was dyno tuned to 80hp and 92lbs tq.The techs that did the dyno work were amazed and kept asking me what cam I had in it.Now on the other hand the black ceramic finish was changing color within a few months and the cornering clearance is actually worse than stock.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ainokea

Why did you take off the TH? What was the problem on long trips?
I've had loud pipes on my bikes for years and years. I put a lot of miles on my bagger, 173,000 miles to be exact. I'm getting older, and the thunder just got hard to take on my long trips. The noise was just something I didn't want to listen to anymore for hours on end.

Don't get me wrong, the Thunderheader sounds GREAT. But after all these years on long trips the noise is something I can't handle anymore. If you're young, you'll love it. If you do short trips you'll love it. If you like loud pipes you'll love it. But if you're getting older and do a LOT of miles, it may not be the pipe for you.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Mr. Moto
Tourer

Ainokea,

TheThunder Header is the only after market exhaust I havehad on the bike so I can't compare it with other 2 into 1 pipes. They are loud. I have the same experience with the finish and corningas mentioned earlier.[/align]I also like theBassani 2 into 1 for Dyna's. [/align]

Quick Reply: Thunderheader or not?