Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Davesurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunderheader or not?

Well my Thunderheaders (black ones) are rusted out after less than 2 years. The difusser cone just plain fell off while riding down the freeway, that happened 5 months after I got them. The co. was not a pleasure to deal with, they accused me of altering the baffles, sent them back for them to inspect. They rewelded the cone back on instead of giving me new pipes.

I'll be switching to supper trapp 2:1 super megs real soon.
Just my 2cents

Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I come from a little bit more sporting back ground than some, my last bike was a Suzuki SV650.I've been grinding exhaust pipes from day one on the Bob.The Thunderheader touches down pretty easily just under the right foot peg and has done so with three different sets of shocks ranging from 3/4" over to 1" under stock.It's not that big of a deal I built a home made "skid plate" to keep from grinding through the pipe and it seems to do the trick.I catch quite a bit of heat on my right thigh sitting at a stop light on hot days but not worse than the stock set up and nothing just hitting the kill switch wont cure.But If you're looking for max HP without opening up the motor you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Thunderheader with an open intake and a good tuner.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

The V&H pipes you refer to the long shot in you pic or are they the pro pipe. If you talking about the pro pipe, how is the lean clearance? Do they hit pavement in a good lean????

Thanks.
After not liking the TH, I went with a 2 into 2. V&H doesn't have the Big Shots Long for an 05 WG, so I got the long shots. I'm happy with them - for now. One thing I didn't mention earlier - the bike is lowered a bit. So as far as hitting the pavement, I'm already closer to it. But it does take a pretty good lean....

My .02

Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Ainokea
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

OK, I come from a little bit more sporting back ground than some, my last bike was a Suzuki SV650.I've been grinding exhaust pipes from day one on the Bob.The Thunderheader touches down pretty easily just under the right foot peg and has done so with three different sets of shocks ranging from 3/4" over to 1" under stock.It's not that big of a deal I built a home made "skid plate" to keep from grinding through the pipe and it seems to do the trick.I catch quite a bit of heat on my right thigh sitting at a stop light on hot days but not worse than the stock set up and nothing just hitting the kill switch wont cure.But If you're looking for max HP without opening up the motor you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Thunderheader with an open intake and a good tuner.
I don't think a skid plate will help me cause I also scrap my left foot peg. It may help with grinding through the pipes though. Could you PM me some photos of your plate?? I think either way I go I will scrape my pipes.

I priced the TH with heatshields at $584.00 and don't want the scrapping to trash the pipes. Do you think putting some progressive 11" shocks on a LR would cause havok on the scraping?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
condition001
Cruiser

i cant speak to fuel injected models, but on my '01 fxd, the heat never seemed to be an issue even without heat shields, but i dont spend any more time in the city than i must. hope this helps

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Ainokea
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: condition001

i cant speak to fuel injected models, but on my '01 fxd, the heat never seemed to be an issue even without heat shields, but i dont spend any more time in the city than i must. hope this helps
Absolutely it helps. I don't think a carb'd bike is any/much differnent from injected here, only the amount of heat the pipes put out.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
beaverretriever
Advanced

ORIGINAL: arodgers

I don't have much for you other than I love mine. The sound, the look, the performance... everything is perfect.
Perfectly said. TH is the second and last exhaust system for me.