Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Dyna shifter seal leaking - help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
MrZorba
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 06 Dyna shifter seal leaking - help

Ok this has been the most informative site and people. I now need your help.
My 06 FXDCI is leaking oil from the shift lever seal. Enough to leave drip mark on pavement and oil along the rear wheel rim.

My local tech says it is the oil seal HD part number 37101-84B. He also suggested I look for a more "robust double sided seal" possibly by S&S ? ? ! Anyone hear of such a thing or had any experience with this type of problem. Or is this a "normal" HD leak to keep things from rusting

The 37101-84B part number is right out of the HD catalog. Majority of the cost is with removing the primary to get to the shift lever seal.

All help & suggestions appreciated.
Mike

Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that once because I forgot to put that little round gasket back in when I changed my clutch. Couldn't figure out why the fu** it was leakin till I saw the gasket under my lift. Put a new one in and it all went away!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM
BlacktopBuzzard
Cruiser

Unfortunately, a shifter seal leak is not uncommon with Harleys. I've replaced them on both my bikes. Most prefer not to use the HD OEM seal but rather one by Cometic. I forget the part # but if I locate it I will repost. If you are going to do the job yourself, it is not that hard of a job but you will need to take off the outer/inner primary which will require some time and tools. Once the primary is off and it is time to remove the old seal from the transmission case remember "no prying out" as you will damage the seal boss. Using the new seal as a depth guide, insert two sheet metal screws of sufficient length on opposite sides of the shifter pawl. Once inserted, I used vise grips to pull out old seal. To install the new seal, lubricate the outer rim of the seal where it mates with the transmission boss. I matched up a deep socket that was slightly smaller in circumference than the seal and clears the shifter pawl. Carefully tap the seal into place and reinstall everything. Too bad it is such a job for a $7 seal. Good Luck

Old 11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If recently serviced (changed) trans fluid it's possible there is too much and it's venting. Like Blacktopbuzzard said it's a pain for a $7.00 seal

Old 11-22-2008, 01:46 AM
MrZorba
6th Gear
Default shifter leaking

Originally Posted by BlacktopBuzzard
Unfortunately, a shifter seal leak is not uncommon with Harleys. I've replaced them on both my bikes. Most prefer not to use the HD OEM seal but rather one by Cometic. I forget the part # but if I locate it I will repost. If you are going to do the job yourself, it is not that hard of a job but you will need to take off the outer/inner primary which will require some time and tools. Once the primary is off and it is time to remove the old seal from the transmission case remember "no prying out" as you will damage the seal boss. Using the new seal as a depth guide, insert two sheet metal screws of sufficient length on opposite sides of the shifter pawl. Once inserted, I used vise grips to pull out old seal. To install the new seal, lubricate the outer rim of the seal where it mates with the transmission boss. I matched up a deep socket that was slightly smaller in circumference than the seal and clears the shifter pawl. Carefully tap the seal into place and reinstall everything. Too bad it is such a job for a $7 seal. Good Luck
Thanks for info and lead to Cometic. I looked at the website and complete Hd catalog but could not fidn the exact replacement part for my model. The closest I did find was their C9354 OEM 37101-84. The HD book specifies a 37101-84B. The Cometic cost is only $2.39 !
I would not do the work myself due to lack of tools and proper space and with my luck Murphy will interfear with the project.

As seniorsupperglideE8 mentioned ...i did get all oils changed in the last 1000 miles with hd synthetic...maybe it was overfilled and is venting out, either way not good.

Thanks guys, unless I can find a better seal may have to go with HD part.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrZorba
Thanks for info and lead to Cometic. I looked at the website and complete Hd catalog but could not fidn the exact replacement part for my model. The closest I did find was their C9354 OEM 37101-84. The HD book specifies a 37101-84B. The Cometic cost is only $2.39 !
I would not do the work myself due to lack of tools and proper space and with my luck Murphy will interfear with the project.

As seniorsupperglideE8 mentioned ...i did get all oils changed in the last 1000 miles with hd synthetic...maybe it was overfilled and is venting out, either way not good.

Thanks guys, unless I can find a better seal may have to go with HD part.
the 'B' in the part # indicates that H-D updated the seal(most likely due to your problem) the cometic will work even though it does not say that it replaces 'B'. At least that Is what I have discovered on other parts. Call Cometic. they can verify if this is the case .

Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

I'd recommend using the Cometic seal. I've had re-occurring shifter shaft seal leaks from the time I bought my bike back in '03. I've replaced the seals at least 3 times while the bike was under warranty & once myself, all replacements were with H-D seals. None of them ever fixed the leak for more than 6 mos. It's been leaking again for the last year & a half. I'm finally getting tired of wiping the bottom of my bike & will be fixing it in the next month or two.

Cometic's seal design uses a dual spring seal & is different & should be better than HD's. At least that is what I've read by those who've used the Cometic seals.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

I mentioned the vent problem because the last a HD shop serviced my tranny. The let me know it was a tad low so they topped it off. After I got home from the shop it was puking oil. My manual sez 20 -24 ozs., 22 ozs. works just fine. Good luck with your endeavor.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Two Feathers
Tourer

Had my done under warranty, it would have been $350.00 or so about a year ago.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM
BlacktopBuzzard
Cruiser

Shifter Seal Part #--------Cometic OS041

Quick Reply: 06 Dyna shifter seal leaking - help