Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tools?

I bought a Wind Zone EK-1HD tool kit, and while its okay for basic services it does not have all of the torx bits. Tried to put rider peg mounts and pegs on a 08 Street Bob today and not having the right size torx bits put an end to that. Did not strip anything but would have if I kept on trying. As others have noted you can install the rider peg mounts without removing loosening the rear wheel like Harley says.

What is a good all around tool set? Should I just get a better torx bit set? Who makes a good one? I am not going to do anything else other than install accessories and perhaps a True-Track kit. The torx bits in the Windzone are good for things that are not torqued down hard but does don't have enough sizes and they are mounted like allens in a holder and you can't put a lot of torque on anything with them. After doing some more research I think my problem is many of the Harley torx fastens are torx plus and the Wind Zone seems to be regular torx.

I figure any investment in good tools overtime will pay for themselves.

Thanks. I appreciate having this resource.

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 12-31-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: more info and corrections
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you are going to find a kit which will equip you with enough tools to cover you for a lot of do-it-yourself mods. I know I had a pretty good stock of basic tools and have had to buy a lot more since I got the bike.

I am not a wealthy person, so price is an issue when I buy tools. I simply can not afford to shop off the back of a Snap-On Truck when I need something. I have learned that buying cheap tools is like marrying a woman you know you're going to divorce before you propose to her. Hell, I've done both. An example, I needed a torx wrench set and went to a local auto parts chain to buy a cheap set. They twisted, broke, and stripped screws. Most everything on the Harley has been torqued with Locktite. You need some hard metal tools to work on these things.

I suggest, based on a financial situation similar to mine, getting some of the following:

Craftsman mechanics tool set $100 - $150

Craftsman or Lisle Torx bit set $25 - $40

Craftsman or other named brand Allen wrench socket set $25 - $40

Craftsman Allen wrench set $25

Craftsman or Gearwrench ratcheting combination wrenches $30 - $40

Craftsman, Klein, or other named brand screwdriver set $25 - $50

Craftsman inch AND foot pound torque wrenches $80 each

Harley Service Manual $50.00

Just the above items will set you back $400 - $500. I have purchased most of the above and caught them on sale, paying about half of that.

Four to five hours of your bike sitting in the Harley Service Department cost about the same as the tools above.

The above list is not complete and you will need a lot more. I hope others here will join in and make suggestions.

John

Last edited by jmpancoast; 12-31-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I started out a couple years back with a 150pc Craftsman mechanics tool set....since then I've just added as I needed stuff, depending on the project. At this point I really need one of those big red tool chests you see in some garages...but the money keeps going into mods. I've got their Torx set, and it's great...some Torx sockets can be fragile, but I trust theirs. I've got Craftsman's standard and metric Allen socket kits, torque wrench, all the screwdrivers and pliers, hell...the list goes on and on now...the wife almost gets as mad about the tool collection as she does about the frequency of new mods.

I'm sure you'll see some guys coming in here singing the praises of SnapOn, and that no other tool will measure up. Craftsman has never done me wrong...there stuff has saved my *** on a few projects now.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 AM
formike56
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tools..... Got a garage full of them. Started buying them before I could drive. Buy quality tools no jap crap or korean chit. Craftsman can't go wrong with them. As stated above. Get the full assortment of torx. Hd uses some oddball sizes.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks to all

I have a HD service manual coming, and will go take a look at the limited Craftsmen tools here. Will probably have to order on line. I had the same feeling that $$$ worth of tools will save 4 times that amount over time. Good news is lots of winter left so getting the rider pegs on was not a show stopper but just annoying. Will go to the post auto craft shop on Friday and if they have torx plus sizes will use their lift and get the job done. I did get some penetrating oil to break the locktite free.

This bike is starting to be just a legal addiction. I can only budget this stuff over time so have to prioritize. I bought safety gear first as opposed to chrome. Working on functional stuff now, and will get to the cool looking stuff later.

Thanks again.

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 12-31-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

When I first began to work on my scoot I would go as far as my tools allowed, then go buy what I need to finish the task. As John said, cheap tools will bring you misery, don't ask me how I know. John laid it out pretty well as to what you're going to need but I will add 1 thing to that and that is get yourself a lift. Several ways to go for that. I personally recommend the J&S lift. No need for adapters or blocks and remember to ALWAYS strap your bike to the lift.
Don

Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

One more thing concerning a service manual. Take it to your nearest Kinkos and have it spiral bound. One of the best $4.99s I have ever spent. Mud will chime in and agree with that. Mines been that way since I bought it 3 years ago.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

while at sears get yourself a couple of torque wrenches... ft-lbs and inch-lbs.
also a retaining ring plier set. The plier set # 47385 works perfect for our bikes.
a 1/4" 10 point socket and a 10mm 10 pt socket will be needed for the brakes.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
while at sears get yourself a couple of torque wrenches... ft-lbs and inch-lbs.
also a retaining ring plier set. The plier set # 47385 works perfect for our bikes.
a 1/4" 10 point socket and a 10mm 10 pt socket will be needed for the brakes.
I think you ment 1/4" & 10mm 12 pt sockets

Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

I was an auto technician for about 18 years before I lucked out and found my true calling. So because of this I really don't have to worry about tools, I pretty much have them all. With that being said, some things I have learned are if you use a tool every day it does pay to have Snap-On, MAC, etc. If you use a tool occasionally then Craftsman will do just fine. If you just need a tool to get you through one job and have no idea when the next time you might use it is, then find a Harbor Freight.

These are rules you can surely live by, trust me.

Quick Reply: Tools?