Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Nostalgic Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Nostalgic Grips?

I bought a pair of HD "nostalgic" grips for my Sporty and never got around to putting them on. Good thing, since I traded it for the 07 FXDB.

I know they fit this bike too, but I am unsure how the installation might differ. For the 08 Sporty, there's no glue needed; the left one is fixed in place by a ridge and groove. and the right one I remember people warning me about losing the throttle ferrule and to put cardboard in the brake lever to keep it slightly pressed.

Is it the same process to change the Dyna's grips? Anything else I need to know?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Sounds like the same process to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, thats right... I use a short #6 or #8 srew instead of the cardboard.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 AM
doxbike
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Handycam
I bought a pair of HD "nostalgic" grips for my Sporty and never got around to putting them on. Good thing, since I traded it for the 07 FXDB.

I know they fit this bike too, but I am unsure how the installation might differ. For the 08 Sporty, there's no glue needed; the left one is fixed in place by a ridge and groove. and the right one I remember people warning me about losing the throttle ferrule and to put cardboard in the brake lever to keep it slightly pressed.

Is it the same process to change the Dyna's grips? Anything else I need to know?
My sister didn't use glue on her left grip and it slipped on her during a hard corner.

I also had a set of grips that I didn't put on the sporty (Kuryakyn Iso-grips) that I just put on the FatBob.

One difference with the sporty vs the big twin-on the sporty you can see the throttle stops behind the A/C for cable adjustment. On the 96'er you can't, so be sure to mark the visible threads on the adjusters so you can get it back where it was, or you'll have to pull the A/C.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Handycam
Tourer

One difference with the sporty vs the big twin-on the sporty you can see the throttle stops behind the A/C for cable adjustment. On the 96'er you can't, so be sure to mark the visible threads on the adjusters so you can get it back where it was, or you'll have to pull the A/C.
What do you mean by this? On the Sporty changing grips was pretty straightforward, this sounds much more risky...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't adjust the throttle stop on mine. I loosened the adjustment nuts on both the throttle and idle cables, removed the grip (don't loose the ferules or the throttle lock shoe) and replaced the grip. Then I adjusted the throttle and idle cables as per the service manual, and was done. The only time I was down behind the air cleaner was to feel the tension when adjusting the throttle cable to make sure it wasn't pulling against the throttle stop. It should just tap it, not ram up against it. That way you don't have a lot of tension on your throttle cable when at WOT. Easy day.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 PM
pennetta
Tourer

I backed the two adjuster bolts off the same amount of turns, when I tightened them I just did it the same amount of turns back.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Kushtaka
6th Gear

Same process-- I've installed the grips on a sporty and my Fat Bob. No glue needed if you install correctly. Just follow the instructions.