Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions For New Apes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
sintax
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suggestions For New Apes

I still have the stock mini apes on my 2006 Street Bob. I want to switch the bars out for ones that are black and are drilled for internal wiring. I know that H-D makes the same bars in black now but they aren't drilled.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an aftermarket set of apes? I don't care if they are a bit taller but nothing over 14" I imagine. I know that they have to be 1" at the risers and at the control area, if I recall correctly.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of the Nash Gimps for Steet Bobs (obviously). I'm running the 16" and love them. They make 14's and a few others. A word of caution, though: Their wait time is extremely long. You might order them in raw steel and have them powder coated black at a local powder shop in Texas. Some guys have waited as long as 3 months for theirs.

Cheers,
J

Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might consider the 14" Burly "Narrow glide" apes which come in black and drilled for internal wiring for around $110. You might think that Narrow bars might look odd on your midglide but actually they would look very good on the mid or even wide glides since the narrow bars are about the same base width as Nash and similar style bars and the top width is still around 32".

Just a though for ya.

Last edited by capttawes; 02-09-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sintax
I want to switch the bars out for ones that are black and are drilled for internal wiring. I know that H-D makes the same bars in black now but they aren't drilled.
If you're satisfied with your stock bars, drill'em and get them powdered. Would epoxy paint work in this area and be durable enough, if you want to do it on the cheap?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM
formike56
Club Member

Try this web site they are in Spicewood just west of Austin. Good people to work with.
www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com They have kits that will beat anybody's price. Kits include internal wiring already done, Chrome controls, SS cables. All you have to get is the hand grips & Mirrors. I have a set of 16" that I installed.

Last edited by formike56; 02-10-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Grind
If you're satisfied with your stock bars, drill'em and get them powdered. Would epoxy paint work in this area and be durable enough, if you want to do it on the cheap?
Anyone have pics of drilled bars?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
gorilla
Cruiser

Todds Cycle Knuckle Bars, or RSD Vintage Bars. Really nice look on a 'bob.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluesrider
Anyone have pics of drilled bars?
Here's the best I can give you. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the bare, unwired bars. I drilled 7/16" holes at the ends of the dimples, at a slight angle, where the wires come out of the controls. I drilled 7/16" holes in the center, about 1-¼" apart and then slotted them with a Dremel.

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions For New Apes-center.jpg   Suggestions For New Apes-clutch-side.jpg  

Last edited by Grind; 02-09-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Try V-Twin I don't know if they sell any black bars but I do know they have some really nice bars for between 100-200 bucks.... I went with the 16" 1 1/4 bars, I like the fat look.... I road 200 miles over this pass weekend and man I love em. Here a chop pic of my rod with em on!

Peace, Donnie

Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by formike56
Try this web site they are in Spicewood just west of Austin. Good people to work with.
www.hillcountrycustomcycle.com They have kits that will beat anybody's price. Kits include internal wiring already done, Chrome controls, SS cables. All you have to get is the hand grips & Mirrors. I have a set of 16" that I installed.
Your link don't work... I fixed it for ya

Clicker Here

Cya, Donnie

Quick Reply: Suggestions For New Apes