Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run/Turn/Brake Module

Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
jto667
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run/Turn/Brake Module

I have HD's LED tail light for my Wide Glide, and Kuryakyns LED rear turn signals on the way(#4822) ....since HD doesn't make LED rear signals...yet. I want to add the run/turn/brake module....anyone have a reason why I should go with HD's module or Kuryakyns module? Anyone see any problem with the HD/Kury intermixing?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
BusyHunter
Intermediate

I can give you my experience with the Kury run/brake/turn vs. Badlands Illuminator.

My setup is the HD Tri-Bar LED rear lamp and the Kury rear LED signals and front LED signals.

Here are the problems I have encountered with both of the controllers.

Badlands Illuminator.
When signalling, the rear signals only flas low intensity to high intensity. Not a true 'on/off' flash. A buddy riding behind me mentioned that the signals were very modest and I better be not forget to look behind when I'm using them. He couldn't really see the signal all that well when applying brakes and preparing the turn.

Kury Run/Brake/Turn.
In their documentation, they mention that running 4-ways or leaving your signal on for more then a couple of minutes can overheat the load equalizers. No way, too many long lights for me to worry about how long my signal is on and I don't want to pull the seat and disconnect wires if I needt to run the 4-ways.

My solution?
I went with the Kury *without* load equalizers. They run a true "off - on - off" flash on the rear signals and I personally don't mind the faster flash rate due to not having the load equalizers in place. Makes it pretty obvious to all that my signal is on. It isn't crazy fast... just faster flash than normal.

Again, haven't tried the HD Run/Brake/Turn but I would be interested in knowing the result of that with a similar setup. I'm sure the illuminator is great with different signals, just wasn't compatible with these I guess.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

I had good results using the run/brake/turn module from Biketronics. I am using their LEDs but I don't think that may matter. One problem I had was that after riding for a short time, the brake function for the signal lights would not work, but the brake light did. I called Biketronics and they were very helpful. Sent me a new unit, and when that did the same they installed a resistor in one of the wires to discharge a static buildup and it's worked fine since. Great customer service!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 AM
jto667
Tourer

Thanks for the input...anyone else got any advice?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 PM
FATBOB67
Road Captain

I just put H-D's red brake light kit on my Fat Bob last week. works fine, had them on my bagger too. The main reason I went with the H-D kit was the price $54.00 vs Kury $75.00. I just wanted more red light showing up.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Handycam
Tourer

I had the HD kit on my Sporty. It was cheap and easy to install. It was good for overall visibility, but I haven't done it on the Dyna (yet) since I think it will be more obvious to moron drivers that I intend to turn with a flashing yellow light than a dim/bright red one.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I want to wire blinkers and running lites in the front and back, also the back 2 lites b as brake lites along with the middle brake lite on my bobber. What do you guys suggest not the badlands module ? I thought that these were reliable and all color coded and the module has all the wires into it for a esay install Input guys Thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the HD one on my bike and works great!! When you hit the turn signal it does go on/off and isn't dim. Mine is brighter then heck and you can tell the signal is on even with the brakes on. My dad has the HD kit on his 90 FXR and it's 18 years old and still working great.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-15-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Handycam
Tourer

So you say the HD kit flashes on and off? Then maybe i will put it in. I could swear the Sporty one didn't flash on and off, just normal/brighter.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

What from HD did your dad use is it for led the module to convert to running brake turn thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run/Turn/Brake Module