Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach added to a FXD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tach added to a FXD

Put the two-up bracket and tach on my Super Glide and spliced in the wires but it didn't work. I oviously messed up the pin-out on the Packard Micro-64. I don't have my manual here at work but I'm pretty sure that's the 12-pin plug.

What wire colors and/or pin outs from the speedo will give me a light and the rpm signal?

Is there a way to tell it's the right wire by using a volt meter and checking the increase and decrease in voltage to a specific pin? What range should I be looking for (1-5 volts)?

Any one have any experience with the plug and/or set up? I used a tach and the pin-out from a FXDL.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Grind
Road Master

I haven't put one on mine, yet, but another member that put the Low Rider tach on his FXD sent me some scans of the manual's wiring diagrams.

Last edited by mud; 03-16-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: link to oversize pix
Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 AM
DGDyna
Tourer

Yes. His name was Jim. We emailed back and forth but I haven't heard from him in a week.

Also, he bought a Low Rider wiring harness ($125) so my guess is that the plug was already configured. He still had to do some splicing but he got his to work. I didn't.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I added the HD tach to my 07 FXD, I just plugged it in? Had to remove the tank, the plug is tucked inside the frame, but other than that just plug and play. Might be too late for that now, but if not, might be a solution?

Someone had e mailed me the diagram as well (to splice in) but we were afraid to try it.

Try this thread on the VTwin forum ( I am paladin1 on this forum). If you read the entire thread you will see some of the confusion that exists.

http://www.*****************/forums/dy...ding-tach.html

Last edited by gregbenner; 03-16-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
DGDyna
Tourer

If that plug is on my '09 Super Glide, it will make this job "done".

I lowered my front signals so I know what a mess in is under the tank. I'm amazed at how many wires they can stuff under there. Thanks for the tip. I'll check when I get home tonight.

The question is still open, in case this doesn't work out.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,739 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by gregbenner
I added the HD tach to my 07 FXD, I just plugged it in? Had to remove the tank, the plug is tucked inside the frame, but other than that just plug and play. Might be too late for that now, but if not, might be a solution?

Someone had e mailed me the diagram as well (to splice in) but we were afraid to try it.

Try this thread on the VTwin forum ( I am paladin1 on this forum). If you read the entire thread you will see some of the confusion that exists.

http://www.*****************/forums/dy...ding-tach.html

Originally Posted by Paladin1
OK, here's the scoop for an 07 FXD. I purchased the 05/prior dual kit which includes the tach. The wiring seems completely plug and play, which a couple of minor hitches.

1. As noted earlier, the loom is inside the frame under the tank. I have the tank off for painting, as well as the front end (forks and triple trees) for powder coating, so for us, no big deal. Although not sure, I think you would at least need to remove the tank to get to the loom in the access panel on the bottom of the main frame.

2. The new wiring loom (which connects to the speedo and tach) is shorter by maybe 6-8". Not sure yet if it needs to be spliced longer.

3. The top handlebar clamp on the stock FXD needs to be replaced with one from an 05/and earlier (on the 07 the clamps are integrated into the round speedo clamp). Only costs $20 though.

Since we are doing quite a few things (paint, powdercoat, dual speedo/tach, front springs, new headlight, etc) it will probably be another month before I am completely finished, but will update as it progresses, particularly if there are any more issues.

greg
Originally Posted by Paladin1
Final update. Tach is a direct plug in, works great. No splicing needed.

greg, I used the kit.

Did you extend wiring so the plug reaches to inside the frame??

mud

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
DGDyna
Tourer

Hey Mud,
I made my pigtail in the basement and took it to the bike. I moved the tank back and removed the cover under the frame. I thought I better mount everything before I splice so I did. At that time, I plugged the Micro-64 plug into the tach.

The wires weren't long enough so I spliced them (5 wires) to the speedo wires about 4 inches from where they exit the frame.

Is that what you meant?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 08 SG didnt have a plug for the tach like some others have.

I bought the Harness for the 07 FXDSE for by bar set-up and it had tach wires on it. I hooked it all up and had power but no RPM. I traced the signal wire to my stock plug and it ended there. So I spliced into the signal wire and ran it to Pin 3 of the ECM and works great now.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

bberck,
How did you connect the lead to the tach? Does it illuminate the guage at night too?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
JimB55
Intermediate

DGDYNA

I sent you an email with photo's of the plug.

Jim

Quick Reply: Tach added to a FXD