Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Profile Quick Release Windshield For Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Profile Quick Release Windshield For Dyna

Anyone out there have any experience with the Quick Release 'Low Profile' Windshield for Dynas? My concern is because it is about 3 or 4 inches lower than the 'Standard Height' Windshield, will the wind blow right into your face, as one person said.... or above your head, as another person said.

Obviously, blowing right into your face wouldn't work. I can't have one cut, as a few guys here suggested, and my only choice is to get the Low Profile Quick Release, or none at all. The Standard Height Windshield didn't work for me... my vision was right at the top of the windshield, and looking through the glass gave me a distorted view of things. I just didn't feel right with it.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:06 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Low Profile Quick Release Windshield For Dyna

Don't know much about it. My guess would be in your face at low speed and over at cruising speeds. I have the full height and I'm going to have to have it cut. It's not even at the edge of my vision, I'm looking right through it. Let me know if you get the mini how it works.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:55 PM
scooterchick
Novice

Hi,

I bought the Detachable Super Sport Windshield (57960-97) for my Low Rider and like it real well. It is quite different looking through it or any windshield. I am a new rider and it was very noticeable. I tried lowering the brackets, they are sitting snug under the top fork bracket.. so then I was looking through right at the top edge and half over top, I didn't like that at all.

The difference/drawback in having a windshield you'll get over real quick, at least I did. Sure beats the wind blowing on you, ripping your head off, especially if you do wear a helment. I rode all the way to Tampa and back without a windshield, early on.. if someone had offered to ride my bike back to Ocala for me, I'd have let them.. man I was hurting.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-20-2005, 12:35 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I am 57 and have been on scoots for most of my life. I have found that if you can get your shield to about mouth level, then the wind won't hit you directly from over the windshield due to upward air flow caused by the wind hitting the shield at an angle and causing the wind to arc over you head. However, when the air is caused to arc over your head it creates a low pressure area behind the winshield that is filled by the air passing from under the windshield and that air is arced up the front of your body while trying to blend with the over-the-top arcing wind, that is why you can't wear collared shirts because they are blown up and beat you up and why your mustache goes up your nose and is not just plastered flat against your face. There is a vest out now that puts a set of winston cup type roof flaps on a leather vest to form a horizontal wedge at chest level to divert the upward rushing air and you can wear collared shirts and your beard won't beat you up and if you are a smoker, you can let one hang out of your lips at 75 without getting all burned up from the blowing embers and it cuts the wind noise at least by half. check it out at www.jacksflaps.com hey, they even guarantee it

Old 05-20-2005, 12:53 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Also; If you go to that sight, and go to "about" down at the bottom left of the page there is an animation showing what the wind does and where he is looking over the windshield

Old 05-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had occasion recently to ride a few bikes, Harleys of course, that had windscreens; I did not like any of them, windscreens not the bikes. I ride my Low Ryder without screen but I do wear a half helmet with face shield. I love the pressure of the wind against my body; it borders on the sensual. I said borders, okay. If one rides the two lane black top or you never ride over 70-75mph I really do not see any need for a windshield. $0.02

Old 05-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Hyper2005LR
Intermediate

I agree, I have an 05 FXDL with the standard hight detachable windshield. if I'm riding localy or no more than 10 miles down the interstate, then the windshield really isn't needed, anothing more than 15 minutes doing 65+ the windshield makes all the difference. Just my .0125 cents (after taxes)

Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just got back from a putt up to Flagstaff and back. Five hours in the saddle speeds from 70+ to 25 in the twisties on my Low Ryder: no windshield. Love to be really in the wind.