Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob tire replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You were saying???

Holy turd ***** batman! Guess those pics must have answered that inquiry right quick! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they seem pretty good in the rain by the looks of it...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump this...
It's had some time to mature
Whos running what on stock rims and has anyone installed some 17 rims/rotors on thier Fatbob?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:01 PM
GuardianX
Novice

I always had a problem with the bike having a bad vibration at 80 Kph and wished there was a 7th gear, it just felt like an engine vibration, Dynas dont have counter balanced engines. cornering and hitting a dip in the road made the bike wobble and no body likes a high speed wobble!. So i added the true track, That helped, it is the missing link but now that the frame is connected to the engine there is a vibration all the time. Its not that bad and i dont mind it to much. I also did the shim the front engine mount, That helped a little too. Now i could do 120 kph before the bad vibration came and thats in a straight line on a smooth highway

I bought the extended warranty on the bike and the tires, If i had known they where bias ply tires i wouldnt have, i just assumed they where radials. My fault for making assumptions. The dealer told me the tires where really expensive and i should by the warranty, so i did. they also told me the FXDF was the best handling bike thy make.

Yes on super twisty roads at lower speeds i would scrape my pegs too. I noticed small cracks at the base of the treads, they told me that was normal and if i didnt like it then they told me to go home and pound some nails in them and they would warranty them. That aint my style. I noticed some cupping too, again, thats normal they told me. I wasnt born yesterday!.

So screw them and the crappy service and tires and off i went to a local guy. I read on other forums that you can put a 200 on the back and a 150 in the front instead of the 180 rear and 130 front. I like the Avon Cobras on other bikes so i stuck with what i knew. I also need to mention i replaced the stock exhaust that had modified screaming eagles on with black V&H long shots, no more burning leg at lights. any way this is the result......

Its a different bike, Completely. The vibration that felt like an engine vibration was gone, it never felt like a bad balance issue, i have felt that before on other bikes. I screamed it up to 180 klm and it was a smooth as can be, Corners with dips in them i took at a wobbly 80kph i now fly around at 130 kph. the whole ride is smoother, when theres a groove in the road the bike doesnt want to follow it because thats what bias ply tires do, instead it goes where the wheels are pointed. Ok maybe now it is the best handling bike they make, its the best HD i have ever rode!

My advise is that if they still put those crappy tires on them and you want a nice ride dont buy the warranty, instead peel that crap off the bike and go with the Cobras.

Bias ply tires are 1950 technology, why did they use them IDK, cheap skates i guess.

I am amazed of the difference it made!

And they look awesome!

And dont anyone tell me that its because the tires wore funny or it was the cracks or slight cupping, it did it since it was new!

2011 fat bob

note

Get a true track (it is the missing link!), and shim the front mount if you dont mind a little vibration in the pegs at low speed.

You will fall in love with your Dyna all over again!

Last edited by GuardianX; 05-16-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Guardian, I'm interested to read your comments about your True-Track. The 'missing link' is no different to the front and top links that were on your bike from new and the fact that you now have three links shouldn't change things at all. I also have a T-T and have deliberately ridden my bike with the link removed and while there is a slightly noticeable difference, my bike doesn't vibrate any more at all. I also have a Buell and Sportster, which come stock with those three links, and they also are fine - no noticeable vibes.

So it suggests something isn't quite right with your bike. It may be that extra link is not neutral, in other words it is pulling or pushing, so that is worth checking. But it is also worth checking your vehicle alignment first, removing the link before (just the double-ended part) then refitting the third link. Let us know what you find - I'm convinced you should be enjoying the ride just as I do!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM
GuardianX
Novice

I did the same thing, removed the link and put it back on. it helped the handling of the bike and the vibration to an extent, Mostly handlling. but those tires, wow what a difference. i beleive the loss in vibration was due to the shim because the front mount had a negative pull on it, its supposed to be positive

Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I have run Metzlers in the past with good results and I have been running Dunlops the last two bikes. I have never had a problem with any of them. I just yesterday had the new Dunlop American Elite's on my 09 Fat Bob at the recommendation of my indie. Too soon for feedback.

Last edited by atrox88; 05-17-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:56 PM
GuardianX
Novice

Those new Dunlops arent the same as the stock bias ply are they. i am not knocking dunlop as a whole, just the stock ones

and GRBROWN that true track was not just the front lower but the rear a swell Bro, so two links added in total

Last edited by GuardianX; 05-16-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:38 PM
pbianculli
Intermediate

I put stock sized Metzeler 880's on my bike, and I love them!

Old 05-17-2014, 01:24 PM
chrisg
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Avon Cobra's on my bike last summer. Went one size larger front and rear. what a huge difference. The bike is so much smoother now and tracks totally straight across uneven pavement, tar stripes etc. Feels like it's attached to a rail now. I'll buy them again for sure.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
diesel7769
Stage I

I would suggest the Pirelli Night Dragons they handle great. I had no problems in the rain.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob tire replacement options