Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped transmission/exhaust bracket stud

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 AM
columbia whaler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped transmission/exhaust bracket stud

Has anyone else found a stripped transmission side door/exhaust bracket stud (lower one)? If so, did your dealer repair it under warranty?

The stud in question is the lower one of two studs along with 6 bolts that attach the transmission side door to the transmission case. The stock exhaust bracket attached to the transmission using these two studs and one 5/16 bolt that threads directly into the transmission case. When I removed my stock headers and mounting bracket I noticed that the lower stud nut was backed out from the side door by about 1/16". No big deal I thought, I will just snug it up and torque all the side door hardware to the spec in the manual. I was able to tighten the stud up to finger tight but it started to spin at about 3 ft-lbs. Factory spec is 13-18 ft-lbs. I backed the stud out and looked down the hole with a flashlight and sure enough the threads are all stripped out. With the stud finger tight I can actually wiggle it back and forth. Not Good.
The bike is going on a trailer and down to the dealer next Saturday so they can take a look at it. They said they have never seen this before; they may not have but I believe that I'm not the only one to have found this issue. Anyone else?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 AM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just throw a Heli-coil in there. They work pretty good.