Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle slip ons verses stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
JoeGrapes
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screamin Eagle slip ons verses stock?

I want to change out the stock mufflers on my 07 FDXC and I'm thinking of Harley's Screamin Eagle slip on's. Not the Screamin Eagle II's but the Screamin Eagle street legal one's. (80492-07)Has anyone done this swap and can you tell me your impression of the differance in sound?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had them on my bike stock (part of the screaming eagle package that came with my bike). They are better then the stock ones. My buddy had stock pipes so I could hear the difference. Much better then stock. Just wasn't were I wanted them so got rid of them for V&H

Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

I have them and I like them. Mine is an 06 and the part # is 80418 - 06 so I don't know if they would be the same.

They are not that much louder then stock. It's hard to explain but they have a less restricted sound to them at idle. Kind of like the popping you get with the loud pipes, only with less volume. Once you hit cruising speed you don't hear them at all.

It did take several hundred miles for them to break in. They are difinitely louder now then when new, but still not loud.

Last edited by PoCoBob; 05-21-2009 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oldman@3221 (07-26-2022)
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran them on mine and they sound much better than stock IMO. They are not that much louder but have a good sound. They will get louder as you get some miles on them.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM
JimBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them on my 08 FXDC. They certainly sounded better than the stock mufflers, but were too quiet for me. So, I took them apart and removed all the packing, leaving just the baffles in them. They were louder, but tinnier. Some of the tinny sound mellowed after they built up some carbon, but they were still not the sound I wanted. So, as I had on my Sportster before the Dyna, I put Cycle Shacks on. It's loud, a bit tinny, but, after about 1,000 miles and some carbon build-up, they are sounding good to me. Had my wife ride it up and down the block a couple of times so I could hear it like others hear it. Fell in love!
Cycle Shacks aren't for everyone, but for me, they are just the ticket. Low price, strong Harley sound, great chrome, and, with the turn-out version I got, they really look sharp on my bike. Someday I will break down and take a picture and have my wife help me post it on here. Someday.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
JohnAE
Cruiser

I have an 09 FXDC and put on some screaming eagle slip-ons for an 06. I didn't notice any real difference in sound level but the baffles are easy to remove in that year of slip ons so I removed half the packing and altered the baffles to allow for more exhaust flow. Sound only got a little louder and I hope the mufflers are less restricted, but don't know.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 PM
frankjake
Road Master

My buddy has them and they are a tiny bit louder than stock but not much. You have to remember, they need to be 50 state legal as far as sound, so they are only a very little bit louder and not even close to something like Vance and Hines.

I have the V & H with the most quiet baffle they had and it's loud but not ear drum breaking. I am 100% satisfied with my pipes and glad I didn't go with the SE.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
I ran them on mine and they sound much better than stock IMO. They are not that much louder but have a good sound. They will get louder as you get some miles on them.
Bberck...are those BUBS you have on your Super Glide?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Although not the same bike by any means, I have them on my Fat Bob and am very happy with them. Sound is just loud enough for me, nice tone, nice rumble, barks when you "get on it." I find I'm heard better when I'm in a car's or truck's blind spot now. Very happy I went with them.

I liked the way the stock pipes sounded when you hit the throttle, but they were just too quiet otherwise, dangerously quiet I was beginning to think.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

I put them on my E-glide...freed up the bike a bit and sounded much better...I know it's not a Dyna but should be the same end result right...I am very satsfied...I would love true duals though...

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle slip ons verses stock?