Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear shock question

Here's a maybe stupid question.......Progressive sells replacement springs for their shocks (412, 418, 440 etc) could I just take my stock shocks apart and replace the spring with a set of those?....that should lower the shocks and upgrade the springs for about $80......would this work?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Unlikely! The stock shocks are not Progressive brand so they are probably not interchangeable. I would be very surprised if they are!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

seriously - why wouldn't it work?...if the ID/OD of the spings are the same what would stop you from sliding off the stocker and replacing it with the shorter progressive one? if you can cut down the stock spring and lower your shocks you should be able to replace it with a shorter one to accomplish the same thing assuming they are the same diameter.....

any suspension experts want to weigh in?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the internals of the shock will still be set for the stock length springs. Even if the progressive springs are the same ID/OD you still have a shock set too soft for the change in ride height. Your bike will ride like crap. Better to just use lowering blocks(close in price) than change to shorter springs.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rounder
the internals of the shock will still be set for the stock length springs. Even if the progressive springs are the same ID/OD you still have a shock set too soft for the change in ride height. Your bike will ride like crap. Better to just use lowering blocks(close in price) than change to shorter springs.
makes sense I suppose; thanks.....but wouldn't that hold true for the guys who have cut an inch off of their stock springs too? haven't heard any of them complaining about ride quality.........

Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by CRF
makes sense I suppose; thanks.....but wouldn't that hold true for the guys who have cut an inch off of their stock springs too? haven't heard any of them complaining about ride quality.........
ever seen a lowered car bouncing down the street over the slight imperfection in the road... cut springs. They may not complain, but I guarantee the ride is worse than it was.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rounder
ever seen a lowered car bouncing down the street over the slight imperfection in the road... cut springs. They may not complain, but I guarantee the ride is worse than it was.

LOL - good point; thanks. Hey we are talking about suspension in another thread (drop in lowering kit)......could I trouble you to have a look at the discussion near the end about rear and front lowering amounts?....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-fork-oil.html

thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by CRF
LOL - good point; thanks. Hey we are talking about suspension in another thread (drop in lowering kit)......could I trouble you to have a look at the discussion near the end about rear and front lowering amounts?....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-fork-oil.html

thanks
saw the discussion. I cannot say for sure exactly how low the rear is when dropping from a 12" shock to an 11" one. I think if you go to an 11" rear, go for 2" up front or thereabouts. It does look good and the frame will be real close to level. Hard to get an exact #.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
heavydutyt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a set of lowering blocks on my 2003 wideglide went too a set of harley premium lowering shocks and the ride sucks now and cant ride 2 up blocks work better for me

Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure they're not the same diameter the Progressives look fatter to me. I wish I could measure them but I gave away my stock shocks.