Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textured Black Engine Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Textured Black Engine Paint

I tried using Rustoleum textured black on my Crossbones air cleaner cover to make it match my 07 Street Bob engine but it didn't look right. Tonight I stopped by the HD dealership and got the "official" textured paint - 98606BF. Sprayed the a/c and it still isn't right.

This paint is textured but it's still "all black" while my engine parts seem to have a mottled silver or faint metalflake - hard to describe - effect mixed into the black texture. Does that make sense? Do y'all's black SB engines have that same silver cast? Or did the PO repaint that stuff when he had the tins done? Hard to believe since all the engine parts - primary, timing cover, battery box, etc. - match.

Sorry - I don't have good enough light in my garage to take any pictures tonight. But if you were to see the a/c cover against the primary the difference is clear. Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it possible your 07 paint is a little road-worn so it doesn't have that 'new' sheen to it like your a/c does now?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be, but it looks the opposite. My lady suggested that the engine parts are clear coated, giving it a shine that the freshly painted a/c doesn't have. Makes sense - if I look closely at the cases and tranny they're the "flatter" black I'm getting from the rattle can. The primary (outer and inner), tranny cover, timing cover, etc. pieces have the "shine" or sparkle look.

As an FYI, the inner primary on her 2000 Lowrider is a dead match for the rattle can. Harder to see since she has the chrome outer primary but its the same.

Painted up an old coke can tonight. I'll let it dry then shoot it with some clear enamel I have and see if that brings out the highlights.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Could be, but it looks the opposite. My lady suggested that the engine parts are clear coated, giving it a shine that the freshly painted a/c doesn't have. Makes sense - if I look closely at the cases and tranny they're the "flatter" black I'm getting from the rattle can. The primary (outer and inner), tranny cover, timing cover, etc. pieces have the "shine" or sparkle look.

As an FYI, the inner primary on her 2000 Lowrider is a dead match for the rattle can. Harder to see since she has the chrome outer primary but its the same.

Painted up an old coke can tonight. I'll let it dry then shoot it with some clear enamel I have and see if that brings out the highlights.
the primary,tranny cover, cam cover are not texture... they are wrinkle. The case and heads are texture as well as the tranny... once the paint cures...about a week, spray some pig spit or s100 engine brightener on the A/C cover... the shine will match almost right up.... yet texture paint is not wrinkle paint... And wrinkle can be a b!tch to get right vs texture where you just spray it on.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM
bennydog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use krylon wrinkle paint... looks great buy it at auto stores! use a heat gun to get it to wrikle up just right!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bennydog
i use krylon wrinkle paint... looks great buy it at auto stores! use a heat gun to get it to wrikle up just right!
Thanks. I've got 3 primary spacers I need to do the edges on, and was wondering what to use

Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The clostest match I've found is the truck bed liner in a can. I spray on one even coat then a light second coat holding the can about 2 feet away.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 AM
FATBOB-08
Advanced

this match's up pretty damn close

Old 08-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Pete7811
1st Gear
Default How to lay down HD texture paint on engine (stripped to bare metal) the right way!?

I reckon there is a lot of people who did paint the engine in the past (I did some painting, but it's not my forte hence I am asking you guys). I am currently in a process of painting my v-twin engine.
I have removed it today and bought 3 cans of textured black from Harley (I just like the finish that's all, really expensive for what it is, but I haven't found anything that matches the finish here - I don't like wrinkle black). Now I'd like to get the old chipped paint off and get it blasted as I can see aluminium corrosion is undeniably happening under the paint as well, so just scuffing it won't help.
The question is, which blasting/cleaning method would you recommend, how to prep the engine for blasting and MAINLY what hight temp primer shall I use as soon as it comes blasted back (as we all know aluminium oxidises)? I heard people usingEtch primer, Zinc Chromium or Epoxy primer? I want to avoid compatibility issues with Harley paint, but not sure it Harley paint would stick to bare aluminium without primer...so all good advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Old 08-24-2017, 06:55 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Hate to say it, but return the cans. Take your parts to a powder coater and have them do it right. It won't be much more than the paint you bought and it will both look better and last longer.

BTDT.

Those cans are great for touchups but not so much for refinishing. IMHO.

Last edited by cggorman; 08-24-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Textured Black Engine Paint