Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjustable pushrods or not???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM
reign2018
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable pushrods or not???????

Just got some hq-500 cams and i really don't want to put in adjustable pushrods is there any other alternative? are the stock rods good or not? Are there a set of solid rods that will work with these cams?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The reason people put the adjustables in is so they do not have to remove the Rocker box covers, etc. The stock rods are fine, it's just more work that way.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:14 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The reason people put the adjustables in is so they do not have to remove the Rocker box covers, etc. The stock rods are fine, it's just more work that way.
Exactly what Doc said.

Yes, you can remove the rockers and just remove your stock pushrods...do the cams then reinstall your OEM rods but that is a lot more work than just cutting your stock ones out, and installed adjustables.

Plus, if you do your heads later on, you will have the adjustables already there so it'll be one less thing to worry about.

From what I understand, the Rivera (Primo) taper-lite adj. pushrods have the most TPI (40) on the locknuts than any other brand. More TPI, more area for the locknut to grab. I'm probably going to get a set of these and they are actually cheaper than the SE adjustables. You reuse your stock pushrod covers. Just buy new o-rings.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a brand new set I'd make you a deal on in the classified section if youre running an evo.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are stock, did a cam change and left them in, just had my heads done and left them in again. It's running great and I'll never wonder about that locknut coming loose or breaking, they're lighter also.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul s
Mine are stock, did a cam change and left them in, just had my heads done and left them in again. It's running great and I'll never wonder about that locknut coming loose or breaking, they're lighter also.
+1 I absolutely agree

Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
You did your heads but are using stock pushrods which means you did not have the heads shaved to bump compression, correct?

Doesn't it seem a lot of work just for cams though, when you could have just used adjustables and not had to deal with the heads until such a time you were able to?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

When I had my 103 built ('01 FXDXT) I insisted on SE perfect fit pushrods...they're available for shaved heads with just the right length undersize. I believe your cams need to have the same base circle, also I used the stock rocker assemblys. Adjustables are "easier" but they're not the absolute "best" way to go.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
You did your heads but are using stock pushrods which means you did not have the heads shaved to bump compression, correct?

Doesn't it seem a lot of work just for cams though, when you could have just used adjustables and not had to deal with the heads until such a time you were able to?
They can be shaved a little but I didn't need to for my target compression, a .030 head gasket did the trick. I'm at a comfortable and dependable 9.75:1, I didn't want to go too high. If I needed to take off much I would have went with perfect fit push rods. I should have done the heads when I had the rockers off for the cam change, but I didn't think I was going there and I also threw in a set of 1.725 rockers this time for a .541 lift. I'll have some numbers to post soon.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Exactly what Doc said.

From what I understand, the Rivera (Primo) taper-lite adj. pushrods have the most TPI (40) on the locknuts than any other brand. More TPI, more area for the locknut to grab. I'm probably going to get a set of these and they are actually cheaper than the SE adjustables. You reuse your stock pushrod covers. Just buy new o-rings.
Reusing the stock pushrod covers is a pain in the *** with adj pushrods. They are too long and don't give enough room to work in an area that's already too small. It's worth the money for the SE kit with shorter tubes IMHO.

Quick Reply: adjustable pushrods or not???????