Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Windvest owners???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question for Windvest owners???

Searched this forum with no luck for my answer. My wife bought a windvest windshield off ebay. When it arrived, I looked at the mounting clamps. I was surprised at a Windshield that cost this much to only have two 1/4 20 allen head bolts, one on each side holding it to the bar clamps. I've always used HD's with two clamps on each side. Is anybody else concerned about this? and has anybody had problems with them not staying in place. The part # said these would fit her 09 DynaL, but the clamps are 1 1/4 ID and my Handle bars are 1" my Risers are 1 3/8 and the forks are 49 mm. Any help would be appreaciated. Ron

Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
ehc0720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my windvest on for a few years now and it has never loosened or vibrated even at high speed. My bars/risers are 1 1/4" ('06 WG), so maybe you didn't get the one for your bike. You might contact them to see if you can get the 1" bracket.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Windvest works fine. Very secure. Easy to remove. No vibration.
Get back with the seller and have them exchange the clamps. It's their falt. They should cover the shipping. I don't have a picture of my bike with the Windvest on it right now but I think it looks better than any I've seen. I really don't like windshields but for long runs they make for an easier ride. My saddle bags, sissybar and rack are also easy to remove hense they'er only on when they'er needed.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

She bought it off ebay. It came off a 2003 softtail with 1 1/4" Buffalo T-bars, but the part number for the windshield was the same as 09 DynaL . My riser's measure 1/3/8 or 35 mm These clamps would have to go there. The angle is wrong for the Handle bars.She likes the windshield, I might take the clamps to a machine shop and have them bored to fit. Only problem there is the chrome is ruined. Where could I order clamps only? Thanks guy's!! Ron

Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer

You might try spacers so that the chrome doesn't get ruined. 1/8" aluminum might work. Easy to form over a 1" pipe.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine since 05. I bought it and had it installed at the factory tent in Stugis. I have the handlebar mounted speedo and tach so it has the extender. Never had a problem with it.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been running mine since last fall and no issues. My mounts go on the risers (will try to post some pix below to illustrate). The clamps with mine are too big for the risers but 1/4" but I knew that when I bought it from forum member bberck. That was fine with me because I didn't really want metal against metal attached to something that would be getting buffeted and vibrated by the wind. bberck had some raw rubber strips that he had used to take up the extra space. I expanded on that and went to the hardware store and got some rubber rings that were the same inside diamater as my risers and a 1/8" thickness (1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4"). These rings were not rounded but, rather, they were flat around the circumferences and the top and bottom edges. I used some super glue and stacked two together for each riser and took a razor blade and cut a slit to get them around the risers. Then I attached the clamps over the rubber rings. Looks good, protects my chrome risers, and works perfectly. I periodically check all the mounting bolts on my windvest and they seem to be staying tight just fine. I'm super happy with it!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Correction, now that I look at the pix. My mounts may have been 1/2" too big around and I used rubber rings 1/4" in thickness. In any case, you should get my drift.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer

Nice fix.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

I've had the WindVest just a couple of months now, same setup almost exactly as 2007fxdc. I used the rubber off of some steel hose clamps to make up the difference, 1.5" clamps onto 1.25" risers. You can buy at any hardware store for about $1 each. I don't notice any movement or vibration when riding, but can wiggle the whole assembly including the mounts by hand.

However, wanted mention that riser mounting will put the windshield at the same or slightly back angle to the risers themselves. If that angle isn't right for your wife, she might feel some buffeting.

I bought a set of marine SS hinges, drilled out and replaced pins with bolts to tighten and lock the angle, then installed between the windshield frame and riser clamps. Seems to work OK, but haven't put enough miles on this setup to want to share pics etc. yet.

Good Luck,
t

Quick Reply: Question for Windvest owners???