Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Street Bob cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
StreetBobTeacher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Street Bob cuts out

I bought an 06 Street Bob w/Screaming Eagle pipes late in the season last year. Had to put a fuel pump on it to get it running and initially it ran pretty well, but as time went on it started running rough, cutting out, cracking, popping and killing out at low rpm. Took it to the dealer and they said it had a service bulletin for the fuel injectors so they put in new injectors and tuned it. Don't think it made a bit of difference. Is the worst when it is cold. But even cuts out and kills after a short stop when the engine is warm. I have a friend who thinks a Power Commander will solve the problem. Anybody got any ideas? I hate being embarrassed when I go to take off and it coughs and sputters and sometimes even kills!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you lose total power? Lights, ignition... if so, I'd check the ignition switch connector underneath the dash. My '07 WG had an issue where I was riding ~65mph through the country and it cut out completely twice. The ignition switch connection was a lil wet. dried it, added some dielectric grease and all's well.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think a power commander will address what's wrong.

Start with the basics; check your battery connections, make sure they are tight. Check your spark plugs and make sure your spark plug wires are securely connected to both the coil and the spark plugs. check your air cleaner and clean or replace it. Buy a can of carb cleaner and with the bike running, spray the carb cleaner behind your horn where the intake manifold meets the cylinders. If the engine rpms increase, you have a manifold gasket leak and new gaskets will fix it.

Let us know the results.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 AM
fireman36
Intermediate

i agree with sniper, it doesnt sound like a problem a PC will fix..... you have something esle going on , check all those things above and go from there

Old 06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
StreetBobTeacher
Advanced

Thanks for the input. It doesn't seem to be an electrical problem. I don't loose lights, etc when it cuts out. And I have replaced spark plugs and made sure the wires are connected tightly. Will give the carb cleaner a try.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the wires going to the injectors. It is a known issue that the loom doesn't have enough play for the wire with engine movement. The wire has broken inside the insulator so they look fine and work ok at times and then fail at others, example idles fine but when under load will cut out etc and not always.
Mine broke right inside the connector, here is a link.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...you-later.html

Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it running on one cylinder when it starts to run like crap.
I've encountered this problem a few times on FXDB's.
the wires going into the injector plugs were partially broken.

Have you tried a wiggle test?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:47 PM
StreetBobTeacher
Advanced

Good information to know. It runs pretty well at higher rpms, but cuts out and kills on idle and low rpm. Not all the time, but enough to be embarrassing. Have alot of popping etc. when you let off the gas.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Start the bike up in the garage, nice and dark, and spray water on your plugs. Mine was doing very much the same thing, the plug wires, while snugly in place, were arcing, giving poor connectivity. New plug wires and bingo, good as new.