Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby Cover Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM
dnebout
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derby Cover Leaking

So I got a nice Father's Day gift today and went to install my new derby cover. My wife didn't know it needed a gasket so I went to the dealer and picked one up. Installed it with the compound facing the clutch. Torqued it down and let the bike sit for a while. Went back to the garage and it's leaking. Short of putting on some gasket sealer, what are your thoughts?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the compound facing the clutch? I don't know what the compound is... anyways the gasket you need is a disc looking thing part # 25416-99c. It tells you right on the gasket which side out. This is a good reusable gasket and mine never leaked. So if you got the right gasket and installed it correctly, it won't leak.

Last edited by rounder; 06-21-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

did you use a star pattern when reinstalling the derby cover?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
dnebout
Cruiser

Yeah I tightened the bolts in a star pattern. When I say compound, I mean the gasket has writing on it , but the writing is like a flexible sealant. The writing on the gasket goes in towards the motor or out to the derby cover?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Derv
Tourer

Originally Posted by dnebout
Yeah I tightened the bolts in a star pattern. When I say compound, I mean the gasket has writing on it , but the writing is like a flexible sealant. The writing on the gasket goes in towards the motor or out to the derby cover?
Yep, writing goes inwards towards clutch, bolts torqued to about 12nm and tightenedi n star sequence (I loctitie mine too). If you've done all that and you're sure there was no crap in the joint then it sounds like you may have a faulty cover. Is it gen HD or pattern aftermarket pretty one?

Derv

Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently did the same thing.. and from time to time, i get seepage. not alot mind you, but certianly enuff to make me come back to reality and stop what im doing to check it.

What about adding an added sealant. like the Compound same ones we use for the Oil pans on cars.

I coulda sworn i read somewhere here that its also something to add on.

Last edited by CRZYLGZZ; 06-21-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here , just in case you dont have it .

Attached Thumbnails Derby Cover Leaking-derby-cover.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dnebout
seeing as I wanted to install my finned cover again, I just did so. The writing does go towards the inside and you should torque the bolts in a star pattern to about 108 in/lbs. Make sure the surface of the primary and derby are free of oil. Is it possible some oil remained on the surface when you installed and it is the trapped oil leaking out? Anyways, befor you go and get any sealant, if it won't stop leaking, I'd return for a new one.

Last edited by rounder; 06-21-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
dnebout
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rounder
seeing as I wanted to install my finned cover again, I just did so. The writing does go towards the inside and you should torque the bolts in a star pattern to about 108 in/lbs. Make sure the surface of the primary and derby are free of oil. Is it possible some oil remained on the surface when you installed and it is the trapped oil leaking out? Anyways, befor you go and get any sealant, if it won't stop leaking, I'd return for a new one.
Yeah it's in right. Cleaned the case with brake cleaner first then put it on with the writing towards the clutch. Used blue locktite and all. I don't have a 1/4 in. drive torque wrench that fits my Torx sockets, so I had to eyeball how tight the screws are. Last night I tightened them a little more and it was still leaking this morning.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
dnebout
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Derv
Yep, writing goes inwards towards clutch, bolts torqued to about 12nm and tightenedi n star sequence (I loctitie mine too). If you've done all that and you're sure there was no crap in the joint then it sounds like you may have a faulty cover. Is it gen HD or pattern aftermarket pretty one?

Derv
It's an original HD Derby Cover. The cover with the #1 and skull. Gasket was purchased at HD as well.

Quick Reply: Derby Cover Leaking