Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas coming out of the gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM
jones654
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas coming out of the gas cap

I have a 2009 Fat Bob. I have a problem. Yesterday I went and filled up the gas. I always fill up but I don't top off. When it clicks, I stop filling up. While riding on the highway a car decided to come to a stop in front of me while I was doing 70 mph. I was a good enough distance away but I still had to let the brakes do the work. I stopped in time, only the first out of 4 people that weren't paying any attention to me, but gas came out from under my gas cap. It poured all over my gas tank. I had to stop and use a rag to make sure all of it was off before heading back out. Is there something I can do to stop the gas. This is not the first time it has done this. Sometimes when I fill the gas tank up, I pull the bike up off the kick stand and gas will come again. I haven't changed anything on the gas tank. Do I just need to get a new gas cap or maybe change the ring around the gas cap? Hopefully someone can help me out.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,646 Posts

My Street Bob did the same thing...the dealer replaced the cap under warranty. The new cap hasn't leaked...this was done about 4 or 5 months ago.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Twofields6
Advanced

I had this problem with my '09 Heritage Classic. Figured out that i wasn't tightening cap enough; was just twisting until it clicked. Now push down on cap and you can feel the seal catching. Haven't had a leak since.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Tripwire1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jones654
I have a 2009 Fat Bob. I have a problem. Yesterday I went and filled up the gas. I always fill up but I don't top off. When it clicks, I stop filling up. While riding on the highway a car decided to come to a stop in front of me while I was doing 70 mph. I was a good enough distance away but I still had to let the brakes do the work. I stopped in time, only the first out of 4 people that weren't paying any attention to me, but gas came out from under my gas cap. It poured all over my gas tank. I had to stop and use a rag to make sure all of it was off before heading back out. Is there something I can do to stop the gas. This is not the first time it has done this. Sometimes when I fill the gas tank up, I pull the bike up off the kick stand and gas will come again. I haven't changed anything on the gas tank. Do I just need to get a new gas cap or maybe change the ring around the gas cap? Hopefully someone can help me out.
I had the same issue and I found that when you tighten the cap watch it to make sure it seats evenly and all the way down. Even beyond the clicking sound. It worked, but I bought the flush mounts and still no more issues.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

You are not the first person who has mentioned this problem on this forum. I know gas caps go bad but yours isn't that old. Made in China? Gas should not leak out even if your bike was laying on the ground. This is an extremely dangerous issue that, considering the number of people who mention this problem, should be looked into by Harley. You are sitting on top of a molotov cocktail if that raw gas gets in contact with the red hot exhaust pipe. Try the suggestion about tightening the cap or get a new cap ASAP. People with newer bikes that have this problem should report this to Harley and to NHTSA (I think that's the agency). If enough people report this maybe it will force a recall or force Harley to fix the problem.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmm - Get a new cap.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 08-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
jones654
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Yeah it kind of freaked me out yesterday. I will try ya'lls suggestions and if that doesn't work then I will get a new gas cap. I am most likely going to get a new gas cap anyways. Thanks for ya'lls help. Take care and ride safe

Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A buddies 09 Rocker did the same thing. He took the cap in and the dealer said it was a known issue and gave him a new cap.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:30 PM
09Lowrider
Stage II

Originally Posted by jones654
I had the same problem with my 09 dyna. I changed the o ring and nothing changed. I noticed that even though the cap was clicking like it was tight, it was not all the way down. The bottom of the cap is fatter than the filler neck, and wont allow it to thread all the way down, and leaves a very small gap. you can remove some plastic with a file from the bottom of the cap and it will thread all the way in. Leak fixed.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Lowrider
I had the same problem with my 09 dyna. I changed the o ring and nothing changed. I noticed that even though the cap was clicking like it was tight, it was not all the way down. The bottom of the cap is fatter than the filler neck, and wont allow it to thread all the way down, and leaves a very small gap. you can remove some plastic with a file from the bottom of the cap and it will thread all the way in. Leak fixed.
He probably figured out a correction 10 years ago when this thread was created and last replied to.

Quick Reply: Gas coming out of the gas cap