Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPB going bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
MLWilson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPB going bad

I have almost 13 K on my 06 Bob which I put 12K on since getting it a year and a half ago. While I'm in there I'll switch to a Baker 31 tooth Primary pulley, SE Heavy duty Compensator and new 07 style stator oh and the baker high torque IP bearing. Should be a fun Saturday getting her back to normal +. Really looking forward to see what the 31 Tooth will feel like. Mark

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MLWilson
I have almost 13 K on my 06 Bob which I put 12K on since getting it a year and a half ago. While I'm in there I'll switch to a Baker 31 tooth Primary pulley, SE Heavy duty Compensator and new 07 style stator oh and the baker high torque IP bearing. Should be a fun Saturday getting her back to normal +. Really looking forward to see what the 31 Tooth will feel like. Mark
30T right? Mud has a good post/pics on the SE comp and Stator.
CB

Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 PM
MLWilson
Tourer

Nope 31T from Baker.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, kind of a happy medium. I have not seen a 31T available and I have been on their site quite a few times.
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/drive...#hdCruiseDrive
I hope you do a step by step write up, good luck with the install.
CB

Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with the Baker Bearing. I think your problem is deeper than just a bad IPB. Lots of us have had multiple failures. I had failures at 3900-mi, and 12K-mi. After the 2nd fail, HD replaced my IP and Tranny cases with the '07+ dowel-aligned cases...now 24K+ and all's well. Known issue with the '06 Dynas; no recall yet, but HD pays for the fix if you go thru Milwaukee Cust.Svc.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the SE compensator ,HD tensioner,SE clutch spring.and Baker bearing on my 06 and I must say the Compensator feels nice and is much more quiet than the stocker, and the SE clutch spring engages tightly and really puts down the power upon shifts.

The new 07 stator/SE rotor and compensator/HD tensioner/Baker Bearing/SE clutch spring all set me back about the same as what HD would charge you on their BS runaround plan and my bike is fixed correctly with better stuff than they would give me

Before I installed the Baker bearing I talked to others who have used the Baker on non doweled cases and reported 30k miles with no failures.
HD has had problems for years with the Inner Primary bearings and the doweled cases will still kill the crappy OEM style bearing /race combo no matter what you do. Thats why Baker came out with their High Torque bearing to begin with. There is no way I will let some HD monkey tear my bike apart to do a job that doesnt need fixing. Its just HD makin money the old fashioned way....Stealin it from people VIA their normal line of BS

Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The Baker 31 isnt going to make a huge difference you can feel, but it will make the bike a lot more rideable without sacrificing fuel economy. And you can still ride down the freeway at a respectable speed without the feeling youre swapping pistons the way a 30 does.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks kk6pg

Originally Posted by kk6pg
The Baker 31 isnt going to make a huge difference you can feel, but it will make the bike a lot more rideable without sacrificing fuel economy. And you can still ride down the freeway at a respectable speed without the feeling youre swapping pistons the way a 30 does.
Thanks for the help earlier, I finished my primary build yesterday! I owe ya a beer......

Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
MLWilson
Tourer

Got everything done last Saturday and did a 300 Mile function check to Des Moines Iowa to visit my brother. The stock bearing was totally shot. Results: the bike runs night and day smoother with upgraded commensator and new IP Bearing. 31 T pully did not provide stump pulling lower end power but enhanced cruise significantly. I also picked up a 3-4 MPG increase. I averaged 45.8 on Highway coming home. 5-6th is more responsive passing at cruising speeds than before.

As far as a deep issue?? I don't understand; but I won't wait 30K before I change something else. I will do something in about 15K, just don't know what yet, another bad bearing would give me an excuss to change something:-)

Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

For those of you who think a magic "high torque" bearing is going to solve the case misalignment issues on your 06 Dynas, take note. Granted, it’s a better bearing than the two-piece OEM bearing but, in reality, it’s just a standard roller bearing you can buy from any bearing supplier (for much cheaper). Roller bearings are available in different roller-to-race tolerances – if you choose a bearing that is made with loose tolerances, it will hold up better in an application where there is shaft misalignment, as is the case with our 06 Dynas. There are actually more appropriate bearings (self-aligning, spherical roller bearings) made for just this application but the problem is, there are other parts of the drive train that are being affected by this case/shaft misalignment besides the IPB. Although you are going to get better performance from this bearing, you MIGHT have other problems down the road with other parts of your drive train. Just my opinion and no, I don’t work for Harley Davidson.

Quick Reply: IPB going bad