Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hex Bit Dropped

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 PM
timfromfc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hex Bit Dropped

I have an 07 SG and was just finishing putting on a new chrome upper transmission cover. I just finished tightening the last screw when the bit came of the ratchet and fell down somewhere near the inner primary.

Of course, the bit didn't make it to the ground - at least that I could find. No other parts were off the bike (except for the exhaust). I used a mirror and searched for nearly an hour but couldn't find it. I looked all over the floor and no luck either. I shook the bike, moved the bike, and even blew compressed air all around to see if it would fall out.

The bit has to be somewhere, but I don't know where. Is it possible that it could be inside the primary or transmission? As I said above, everything was closed and tightened when it fell off.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may have landed on the belt, be careful to find it before you move it.....opps, too late for that.

Check the belt, all around the sprocket, inside the belt is where it will do the most damage.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

If the bike is on a stand roll the rear tire..if not roll the bike backward and forward..good luck..

Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
timfromfc
Cruiser

Just after the bit dropped, I felt and looked all around the belt (above and below) and didn't see or feel anything. Only after looking for over an hour did I move it - very slowly to listen for anything drop, and didn't hear anything.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timfromfc
Just after the bit dropped, I felt and looked all around the belt (above and below) and didn't see or feel anything. Only after looking for over an hour did I move it - very slowly to listen for anything drop, and didn't hear anything.
Get a wrench's extendable magnet. Those guys are always dropping something.

Since much of your engine, transmission, primary are aluminum you might get lucky.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem when I was filling up the tranny. I actually dropped another bit, from where I estimate the other one was dropped. Do it a few times, but make sure you keep an eye on the 2nd one.

good luck!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were buttoning up the case with the last bolt, its doubtful its inside. I dropped a bolt behind the starter once and it took forever to find it but as luck would have it, it was just hiding in the shadows. Keep looking!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
mickymoto
Tourer

+1 on the hickey method, try to get another person to watch it, & maybe light the bike up with a small/garage style flood light, it can't hurt!, good luck

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

it's a bitch when that happens. and it happens to me all the time.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

I've had that happen more than once, at least you didn't drop something in the motor. Buy yourself one of those telescopic magnets they come in handy for situations like this.

Quick Reply: Hex Bit Dropped