Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fake oil tank question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
cramil
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just find a round battery...LMAO

Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by editbrain
Seems like you would have to change from FI to carb. Then you could run your bike on 5 wires without turn sigs, etc.
This is how my bike is setup, and there is still no room for a battery other than the factory battery box, not without serious modification. I chopped the factory electrical box, replaced it with a tool bag, and run a basic chopper wiring setup using a Thunderheart ignition module. Sure, you could mount the electronics somewhere else with a little creativity, but still no room for a battery.

This is the backbone obstructing the mounting location:

This is what's left after wiring, not much space under there:

Last edited by CountryPunk; 09-27-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a little cramped.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:45 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Honcho
In the November 2010 Hot Bike, there is an '05 Dyna done up by Yuri Shif Customs. They have replaced the stock Dyna battery box (The only part of my Street Bob that I have always hated the look of) with a fake barrel-style oil tank that is a battery and electrical tray. Anybody know where I can get my hands on one of these? it is perfect for the look I am going for as I convert my stock Street Bob to a more vintage look. Any help would be appreciated.

Honcho
Here are the images from this thread started by DynaMightBuzz:

One SWEET Dyna....Russian style.

Originally Posted by DynaMightBuzz
I saw this Dyna in Hot Bike magazine. The builder is from Russia. He started with an '05 Dyna and ended up with this. He went with a King Sporty tank and got rid of the battery compartment and replaced it with a barrel oil tank/battery tray. No oil is in the tank....it's for show and to fill in the gap. Where's the battery though?? Sweet bike!!

IMO this bike's frame has more space in the seat area compared to the stock dyna frame as shown in Country Punk's image:

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good catch Rene ... does seem that the seat base area was reworked on the custom bike ... more of an angle ...

Another thing that they might have done is use a smaller battery ... I was noticing on another thread someone mentioned they were using a brake caliper mount from FabKevin .... I got to looking on his website and he has some parts where he uses a smaller battery ....

He's got a mount that conceals a battery inside a belt drive (between the pulleys) ....

I also noticed that on the custom bike it looks kind of like the 'oil bag' might've been cut in two to facilitate mounting it ... I blew up the top photo to 400 percent and there appears to be a slight seam down the middle of it ....

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 09-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Honcho
5th Gear

This is our mission! WE must find this tank!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
DBLJ
Advanced

Looks like that faux oil tank has been notched in the middle.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Good catch Rene ... does seem that the seat base area was reworked on the custom bike ... more of an angle .......
Like you said, Todd! Rework at the seat base.....IMO the angles of the back bones are different as well......

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 09-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM
cramil
Tourer

If you look past the "I can cut glass with these"... Between the seat rails appears to be a box above/in the oil tank. Maybe a smaller battery tucked in there mounted horizontal to the bike and electronics in one half of the tank? Also seems with all the work to get the peanut tank on there it would have been easier to hack out the typical dyna backbone and go with a more traditional rigid section and you could completely rework the battery area but that's just me.

Last edited by cramil; 09-27-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn’t say not to that kind of set-up !
Here’s my “solution” , just thinking out loud here…
Take the smallest battery that will make our bike run, put it in a saddle bag and fab a fake oil tank that will host whatever is hanging there now ! a lot of minimalistic hardtails have this set-up!
Ok not everyone wants a saddlebag…
Does this set-up sounds realistic ?

Quick Reply: Fake oil tank question